QUICK question to guys w/lifted vans

Topic author
unrreal
I get chills without my van.

QUICK question to guys w/lifted vans

Post by unrreal »

hi guys i got a 99 awd with a 3" body lift front and back, im getting ready to put some 31" tires on my rig and i have not yet cranked my t-bars, my question is will i be able to crank them up without having to change my steering shaft? or will i have to get a new steering shaft to make up for the difference in length?
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Re: QUICK question to guys w/lifted vans

Post by LaGrasta »

Hello and welcome to our group!
Althoguh my '98 isn't AWD, I do believe you will need to extend the shaft according to what I remember from Overland's site. Your fan shroud will have to be cut as well if you haven't already trimmed it.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome to the best Astro and Safari van forum in the world!

I gotta correct you on a couple points. First, you don't have a body lift in the rear as there is no frame to separate from the body and second, if you do in fact have a 3" BL installed, the steering shaft is already lengthened.

Now for cranking the torsion bars. You will not need to do anything other than an alignment afterwards. The torsion bar position does not affect the steering sector shaft.

Hey...where's the pics? :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Yeah, dawg, hos bout some pics?

Do you mean you got a van that is already lifted and just want to put bigger tires on it? Or you are getting ready to install the lift and the tires?
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
unrreal

Post by unrreal »

the lift is already installed i got 3" blocks in front and 3" axle blocks in the rear, i did all the work, i just havent installed any tires yet :whistle: and you guys are going in different directions here, i want to crank the t-bars so that the new tires will clear without ME having to trim the fender and such, i do know that the guys that have done the 4" body lift have needed to get a new steering shaft for their rigs, so i know that by cranking them i will get more lift BUT will that be a problem with my stock shaft???
and hey hold on with the pics theyre gonna come soon, as soon as i get home that is :yellin: IM supposed to be working right now :whistle:
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

As Dean (Lifted) said, if the 3" spacer blocks are already installed, (and you don't already have steering shaft issues), cranking the torsion bars isn't going to be a problem. Cranking the torsion bars has no affect on the steering shaft. Only seperating the subframe from the unibody (where your blocks are installed) affects the steering shaft. (Your steering box is connected to the subframe. The shaft runs between the column and the box.)

It sounds like you installed the 3" blocks and didn't address the steering shaft issue. You may want to to check and see how much overlap you have with the slip shaft. Normal chassis flex could result in the slip shaft separating if you don't have enough overlap.

And yes, we want pics!! :bounce:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I just re-read your last post and think I see the confusion.

The difference is how you accomplish the lift. Some 4" lifts come about by using 2" blocks and cranking the bars for 2". Some weld in 4" or 5" subframe blocks. 2" of subframe lift and cranking doesn't require an extended shaft on newer vans. 4" of welded lift does require an extended shaft. As for yor 3", apparently you don't need the extended shaft yet...

The key is the size of the blocks, not the total amount of lift.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

With a 3" lift I don't see any way you will be fitting 31's without trimming somewhere. Even with 5" I needed to trim for 31's on an old body style. There is a little less room on the newer body style up front. 29 or 30 is more realistic if you really don't want to trim.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

With 3" blocks up front, you MUST check the steering shaft for fit. Make sure it has plenty of slip so a little bit of flex doesn't separate the 2 halves. If this happens you will have NO steering ability!

On the older 90 - 95 AWD's, a new steering shaft has to be installed for a 2" body lift. You will need to trim a lot to fit 31's with only 3" of lift especially in the front. Like Lockdoc says, you need to trim to fit 30,s and 31's with 4-5" of lift. Realistically, if you don't want to do any trimming a 235/75R15 (29" diameter) is about as tall as you can go.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Yeah, it's not a matter of height so much as a matter of the shape of the wheel well.
ImageImageImageImage

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I'm only running a 2" lift with 30" BFGs and still needed to trim the front of the wheel wells. They came out great, no one would even know I was in there. And it was easy.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Topic author
unrreal

Post by unrreal »

thanks for the input guys, i already have the tires i just didnt want to trim a lot out of the wells thats why i was asking and pictures soon to come. and the tires are 255-70-17 on jeep rims that i had modded so that they'll fit the astro. and for those of you wondering about my steering shaft i havent had any problems with it and i've been driving it for about 3 months now...

Topic author
unrreal

Post by unrreal »

HERE are some pictures... as promised :D
http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Looks good, bro, looks good. Can't wait to see it with the meats on it.
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
unrreal

Post by unrreal »

T.Low wrote:Looks good, bro, looks good. Can't wait to see it with the meats on it.
i am gonna put them on tomorrow since i have the day off at work and of course more pics to come.. :muhaha: