I went to get my new 30x9.5" BF Goodrich All-Terrian T/A KO tires from Costco yesterday, and the guy at the counter asked me what kind of vehicle I drive. So when I told him it was an Astro, he goes HOLD IT we can't put these on for you. I said, yes you can because I lifted the body up. He said no we can't because company policy is that they can only mount tires that are within 3% of stock size for liability reasons. BUT, he said, if you bring in loose rims then they put down "loose" on the paperwork and they are exempt for liability. Fine, I said, that's what I'll do. And I did. When they were done balancing, the shop hand informed me one of my rims was bent and wobbling like crazy. That must be from the time I slid into a curb last winter. Great! (So if anyone has an extra steely in Vancouver please let me know! Actually, make that two because I need another as a spare). Anyways, so I took them home and put them on the van. (They are much heavier than the original!)
I cranked the stock torsion keys the rest of the way, and I decided to leave the rear springs at max height for now. The back looks great. Lots of room in the wheel well there. Front ... not so good. The passenger side apppears to sag a bit more, which means I'll have to lower the driver side as well to level it out, and it was already pretty tight to begin with. I already noticed the front passenger tire hitting the plastic curtain on an inclined turn, which means I'm going to have problems in more extreme situations.
Nonetheless, I dropped off the vehicle the alignment shop today so I can start driving already. The guy there had no problem at all with the vehicle being raised. I told him about the knockouts on the control arms. At first he was surprised, because he thought it used shims, but after a quick glance at the arms he agreed with me. That's gonna cost $60 extra per side, he said.
Damn it! Burned again. I *&$%* wish I knew about those when I had the control arm off. But I said, fine just do it, because by now I've had it with this job and I'd rather just part with a bit more money than start mucking about again. (it gets dark very early here).
So tomorrow I'll pick it up from the alignment shop (I'll take some more pictures for you guys so you can see the result) and then I'll be faced with a dilemma for dealing with front wheel well clearance.
A) Put Dan's torsion keys in (really not excited about doing that job. Had enough struggle with rust already), get everything aligned AGAIN, and have to deal with joints, axles and steering components wear out on a regular basis.
B) Attempt to modify wheel wells.
Good times. And that's just the critical stuff. Then there's the exhaust (Cargo, do you have pics of the hanger you made). Also, somewhere during this lift install my alarm/remote entry stopped working! Power lock buttons on the doors work but the alarm system seems to be complete unresponsive, and won't recongnise my fob even when I try to reprogram it. The blinky red light is just off.
Updates tomorrow ...