lift options?

Topic author
scarecrow
I get chills without my van.

lift options?

Post by scarecrow »

hey yall i have a 95 AWD i want to run 31s which i know atleast i will need 4 inches of lift. and my 95 has the steel leaf springs and the 36in torsion bars. so would overland be my best bet or is there something else out there?
SOLD and missing my 1995 Astro AWD 5 1/2 lift and 31 inch tires...

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: lift options?

Post by dunedog »

Overland is the easiest! They have done the work for you.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

What he said!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

outofthebox
I am merely driving my van

Post by outofthebox »

I'm going to hijack this thread so I don't have to start my own. I'm considering a 2-3inch lift for the spring/summer fun. I'd like to keep away from body lifts, what path would you guys recommend for just suspension lift? I know overland has the shackles (I think thats what, 2 inches?) as well as the larger leaf springs. Up front I know you can play with the torsion keys but that only ballparks an inch or two and I've read about increased wear.
Image 97 AWD Image

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

scarecrow...definitely go with the Overland Vans kit. The engineering and design is already done and his prices are very good.

outofthebox...I would highly recommend doing the 2" body lift up front and then using the keys for fine tuning. In the rear I recommend going with the add-a-leaf. If you want more body control, pick up a set of OLV's performance hangers and chassis control bars.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Chiming in to place another vote for OverlandVans ... Dan is awesome there as well, for me my questions were answered within a day and shipping was fast and painless - I live in BC Canada as well :)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Or you could break new ground and go with the 4" lift spindles and some big o'le springs in the back.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox »

astrozam wrote:Or you could break new ground and go with the 4" lift spindles and some big o'le springs in the back.
Looks like theyre only for RWD vans. Looks like a lot of work to get them right too.

"*Note: The HD Astro/Safari Lift Spindles are built to handle the stress of big tires. Although a direct bolt-on spindle they do require the use of a full size 1500 van/truck brake rotors, bearings, wheel nut and calipers. 4 wheel ABS Vans will need a 1500 ABS backing plate"
Image 97 AWD Image

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox »

Alright someone explain the "torsion keys" to me. Overland has these:
Hi-Lift Torsion Keys
"These re-indexed keys are custom made exclusively for OLV. They provide maximum lift from your torsion bars. Standard in our 4" kit and now available seperately. Simply replace your OEM keys with these for maximum lift."
I'm rather unfamiliar with the suspension set up in these vans, I've had sports cars all my life (well and a few volvos) but never anything with leaf springs/awd, so forgive my ignorance.

The rear, so long as I'm looking at everything right, is simple to lift, either larger leaf springs, new shackles, or spacer blocks. The front being independent, not as easy. I'm assuming the torsion keys were originally meant to center the vans height, but we can adjust them to raise it a good deal beyond factory specs? So if these larger keys (again, if I'm looking at this right) would extend the height adjustment availability? So this is a alternative to body spacers.
Image 97 AWD Image

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Do you know the prices of the extra parts mention from the Overland van site?

1. OLV's performance hangers

2. and chassis control bars.

Are these recommended for the 2 inch lift kit as well ?

Or are they only needed for the 4 inch lift,

Thanks,

Astrophysics

1996astro
I get chills without my van.

Post by 1996astro »

Astro/Safari HiPo Spring Hangers & Chassis Bars ML8506-HiPo-SH/CCB $325

85-94 Astro/Safari Lifting Shackles ML8595-LS $100/pair
95-06 Astro/Safari Lifting Shackles ML9506-LS $100/pair
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

outofthebox wrote:Alright someone explain the "torsion keys" to me. Overland has these:
Hi-Lift Torsion Keys
"These re-indexed keys are custom made exclusively for OLV. They provide maximum lift from your torsion bars. Standard in our 4" kit and now available separately. Simply replace your OEM keys with these for maximum lift."
I do not recommend these keys as they will put the front axle cv half shafts as well as all the steering components and such high angles that you WILL be replacing parts much more often. The amount of lift you get just from the stock keys is plenty for the stock axles and steering idler arms and tie rod ends. Lockdoc had a set on his 4x4 and removed them after he spent over $700 on all new ball joints and steering components due to wearing out in very short time.
outofthebox wrote:The rear, so long as I'm looking at everything right, is simple to lift, either larger leaf springs, new shackles, or spacer blocks. The front being independent, not as easy. I'm assuming the torsion keys were originally meant to center the vans height, but we can adjust them to raise it a good deal beyond factory specs? So if these larger keys (again, if I'm looking at this right) would extend the height adjustment availability? So this is a alternative to body spacers.
For the rear the best combination is to do the add-a-leaf and shackle. If only doing a 2" lift, go AAL. If going a full 4" go AAL and shackle. If you want 5"+ you will need the AAL, shackle and performance spring hangers. DO NOT GO WITH THE BLOCKS! These increase axle wrap too much and if installed per the instructions, will tear the mounts off the rear axle.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Astrophysics wrote:Do you know the prices of the extra parts mention from the Overland van site?

1. OLV's performance hangers

2. and chassis control bars.

Are these recommended for the 2 inch lift kit as well ?

Or are they only needed for the 4 inch lift,

Thanks,

Astrophysics
These parts can be installed on any combination...stock height, 2" lift or 4" lift. They replace the stock spring hanger and weld on the rear end of the sub frame. I have a set here that I intend to install in the spring.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LiftedAWD knows the best ;p
Just to give you a nud to get ordering, I first started with a 2" lift thinking "That's all I need" - nope I am now happy with what I have.

Front: blocks + cranking on bars (no keys but maybe I should).
Rear: shackles + 2 3/4" lift from AAL.
Shock: Rancho 5000s.

Only my AAL I did not get from Dan because I got a local shop here to arch me some and they did an awesome job - even cut to length on the first try which by God am I thankful because I only had my vehicle the day I installed. Even with just the bars cranked my idler arm has been wearing away much faster. I am in need of changing them again (she is swaying in the front :D).
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

Okay, I did a search and didn't see that anyone else had mentioned them, but I'm wondering if anyone has looked into the Chevy "lowering shackles" at Autozone, part #13-4100 to use in place of the OLV 2" lift shackles. I've seen these same shackles used to lift Dodge trucks and Ford Rangers with no problems, but no one has mentioned them here.

There on the shelf at my local Autozone for $35, but I cannot find them on their website to show, so here's a link to a random website, for reference:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/64 ... e_kit.html