MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO LIFT 2002 AWD

Topic author
PatAus
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO LIFT 2002 AWD

Post by PatAus »

Hello.

Need some advice here.. im wanting to lift my 2002 AWD either 2" or 4" using Overland Vans Kit.. So im just want to know with my particular model what other modifications asides from the fan shroud are required for this upgrade ?

I hope someone will be able to assist further on the topic or link me into the right information..

Thanks

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO LIFT 2002 AWD

Post by Herbie »

There's not a lot to it. I've copied the installation instructions to a Google drive, you can see them here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-sdf ... I1ZWd4MzNV

There's *all* the instructions for multiple years, and 2WD and 4WD, and non-lift parts all included in those instructions, so make sure you check the heading of each "section" to see if it applies to your van. (Lots of those instructions won't.) Aside from the Fan shroud trimming, you may have to trim the bumper cover and/or trim at the pinch-weld seam in the front wheel wells. Otherwise the only "permanent" change would be if you elected to weld on the relocated shock-tabs.

Lots of other little changes (like drilling the e-brake cable bracket) could be reversed, if needed. The hardest part of the AWD lift is if you elect to use the Re-Indexed torsion keys. It takes either a special service tool to unload the torsion bar, or a C-clamp (with some risk of failure of the clamp). FWIW, I'm still on my stock torsion keys with the preload just maxxed out. (Plus the body lift pucks.)
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO LIFT 2002 AWD

Post by Wiley »

I would consider lengthening the oil cooler lines, otherwise watch them like a hawk. After the lift mine eventually leaked until I replaced them with longer hose following a procedure thread on this site, but others have the same issue with the hoses, I do not know if it was the lift, but it could have been related. Once replaced I have never had a problem so it is worth considering the fix up front.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley