Brainstorming Camper

Topic author
krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Brainstorming Camper

Post by krsowles »

OK, I would like to have an open brainstorming session. From now until summer (maybe?) I would like to design in my head, with your help, a camper addition to my van. Seems easiest to go up as opposed to out but there are no bad suggestions! I won't use them all, I'm sure but in brainstorming, the silliest idea can lead to the best idea! I have very few preconceived ideas and want to remain as open-minded as I can. To start, I think up is easier but tracks and slideout possible. Possible small popup camper cut into roof? Hide lifting mechanisms with nice built-ins? Really want other input! I'm in my head all day and finding I like it less and less, so I want to tap outside knowledge. I did tell both my real life friends I wanted help and if they have any good ideas I will share those with you as well. I know them and doubt they will but what the hey. Thanks in advance for all input and hopefully we can have some positive, creative fun. Kelly :cheers:
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

MrJames

Re: Brainstorming Camper

Post by MrJames »

Too bad what Gary posted is sold

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8062

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

How many people will there be camping in it at one time? There are a couple pop-tops that have been done on here and that gives a lot of extra room.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
krsowles

Post by krsowles »

Probably my wife, 2 boys and myself. I've read about the others and loved the ingenuity! We'll just have to see howit plays out.
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The boys can pitch a tent! That takes care of them!!! LOL :muhaha: You are gonna need a bed platform or two, fridge, sink, hot water, commode, and storage. Lots to put in the little room you have. What about building a small enclosed trailer to house the cooking, cleaning and storage needs? You could then have the van for just sleeping and changing in.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
krsowles

Post by krsowles »

To be fair I can (and may) tow a camper! I have one! My wife is gone a lot of the summer racing downhill mountain bikes (ranked 16th in country for all women). I would love to be able to do some travelling with the boys to watch her race and show them the ocean and other cool stuff. It would be nice (and cheaper) to take the van and not haul a camper with a big truck. I have family and friends all around these parts who will let us park and use their facilities. I really don't want to rule anything out though. There are a lot of smarter people around then me. If I could get your whole list in the van without a trailer, wez livin large! I would be really excited. Thanks :cheers:
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

How about a rack with a roof hatch? Make or buy a rooftop tent. You have roughly 5' X 10' which easily sleeps two adults and a leaves plenty of room for the rest of the bedroom set.

Topic author
krsowles

Post by krsowles »

I like your thinking...kinda why I was thinking good patfolrm for a small pop up camper frame work. Try to keep it as low profile as possible, slide out 2 bunks like pop up and cut out all middle stuff. Lots of mod work to shrink pop up size but readily available and cheap. Would need a good platform to put it on! Know where I could come up with some good plans or maybe a thread I could follow on building one? :prayer: Could almost get it to last flat under modified camper roof!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

What I'm building for my vans roof is probably way overkill for what you want, but it will include a hatch to get up top and a tent. I don't have any hatch photos yet but a few pages in you can get an idea of the tent size you could build. Building your own can make for a large tent, buying premade I found really limited the size I could put on the roof.

There are many rooftop tent makers that have the rack built in. They are expensive though.

My work in progress is here:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=7862

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

To make enough room for 4 camping in the van you will definitely need more space. What about adding a sport tent off the back for whatever...

(I hope Dunedog, Cobra, Lockdoc, Zam, hunterncruse and Peter don't mind)

Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Topic author
krsowles

Post by krsowles »

I like the hatch tent, may do that too. I really have a hankering to create something. I like spending twice what I could have bought something for to have it look half as nice! :yawinkle:
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

krsowles wrote:I like the hatch tent, may do that too. I really have a hankering to create something. I like spending twice what I could have bought something for to have it look half as nice! :yawinkle:
Hey! Me too! :muhaha:

:cheers:

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Damn! were those pics really almost 4 yrs ago? :yikes:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Yeah they were Zam...you coming south for some camping this summer?

I used to spend twice on something to look 1/2 price as well. Now I just buy what fits and already works. It leaves more time to actually enjoy the stuff we buy. I don't enjoy carpentry!
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Topic author
krsowles

Post by krsowles »

Whatever I do I will test fit/build to my parts van before I go for the glory! You will get pics to see and tell me just how stupid it looks. While I value your experiences and love of the Astro, I generally tend to go my own way when done. When I look in a mirror, it's always the same dope looking back at me. He's the one I gotta keep happy.
I really think I want to go up. In a perfect world, I would use the piece of roof I cut out as top piece. Metal lip flange on van with overhanging lip flange on cutout piece to make waterproof when closed. Canvas sides or combo of hard side and canvas with screened windows for ventilation. All that not out of reach. Would like to have 2 pieces that would slide (1 forward and 1 towards back like pop-up camper)with small area open for ladder of sorts to get up into.
A one piece fibergalss apparatus that would bolt on would be neat and could be reproduced if there was an interest. Perhaps side job or second business? I obviously don't have half of the important stuff worked out yet. I have been sick lately and spent most of last couple days in bed. Amazing how much time my brain wandered around this subject. I have really apprecieated input, thoughts and pics/experiences! Keep it up, it will only fuel my determination! Kelly
:toimonster: my 5 year old loves this one, sorry
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD