Escape Vans, the freedom to sleep around

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Escape Vans, the freedom to sleep around

Post by photo_van »

Check this out http://www.escapecampervans.com/Campervans.html. We've been seeing quite a few of these around our neck of the woods, pretty nice simple setup.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Escape Vans, the freedom to sleep around

Post by astrozam »

Beats havin to rent an rv when all you have is 2 or less peeps. Although they really should post their actual rates to give people a better idea of costs. :cheers:

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I like the back sink set up that would be easy to make removable then make a bed with some ply wood milk crates and a blow up matress.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

I've seen and studied these before, particularly when I was planning my own interior design for my camper.

Like:
* The rear galley is very cool. Love the idea of being able to prepare a meal with the same ease as a teardrop trailer or chuck-box. Having no height restriction there means you could include a fridge/freezer as well as the sink, a pull-out stove, etc.

Dislike:
* Cuts off the access from front-to-rear due to the bed "Stuff" behind the front seats.
* This layout makes sense for an "owned" vehicle that might see double duty as a daily driver for a family of four and weekend camper for two people, but having the rear seat and belts is sort of silly for a rental camper, since you can't actually take 4 people camping in the van unless you bring a tent.
* No "living" room space once the bed is made. Thinking about pulling into a camp site while it's raining means at least one person has to jump out, run around to the slider door, pull the bed into sleeping mode and crawl straight into bed, then the other person has to come over to the slider and crawl into bed, bringing your wet clothes with you.

In contrast, my layout is based on the traditional "Westfalia" model and there's enough floor space to pull the bed into position and still move around a bit and even pass from driver's/passenger's seats to the rear (and even stand up since I have a pop-top).
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.