Central/South America Camper

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Central/South America Camper

Post by Wiley »

I threw up some quick additions about the interior. I will continue to update it, but as those of you who have been following along on my trip have seen, its impossible, as there is so much to see and do down here I am way behind. Sorry

Van and Gear

There are many different vehicles you can chose from with a trip like this, though part availability should always be considered depending on what parts of the world you are traveling to. This, along with the dependability factor initially had us searching for a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma. After weighing the pros and cons of the truck vs a van, we changed our mind (after buying the domain name) and are now taking a 2004 AWD Chevy Astro Manly-van. This provides us with a bit more room/comfort, is a cheaper vehicle for both purchasing, as well as repairs, but is not quite built like the "tank" a Tacoma is known for. ..though still a beast in the eyes of Astro owners.

The wood platform is divided into 4 pieces, so that it would be relatively easy to take out when needed. The front passenger piece is l shaped so that it can be placed on top of the rear passenger piece, making it easier to get to the fridge, as well as provide somewhat of a lounge area.

I added an overlands 2 inch body lift, but due to timing put on stock all terrain tires, which was a rushed mistake. That has probably been the biggest mistake as some topes (speed bumps) have been causing us problems even when trying to go over them slow. I need bigger tires, and would recommend the 4 inch lift kit to others thinking of taking an Astro south of the border, even though that means other more expensive changes would be required.

Teaser pics

2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Central/South America Camper

Post by Wiley »

Time to try and salvage this pathetic thread. If you know me you know this will take me a year, but I might as well chip away, pulled the battery and hooked it up to a tender, told it to hang on, it is going to be awhile.

Thus far I have drained the oil, front differential fluid, and coolant oil. Removed all the front suspension parts, including torsion bars and control arms.

I took off the hood, because, well, I don't have a wife who will bitch at me for having a hood in the spare room, so why not. Also pulled the passenger seat, fan shrouds, air box, clutch fan, belt/tensioner, radiator hoses, and loosened the thermo...1 bolt snapped, saw another post about that so was not surprised, but the good bolt was covered in anti seize from the lat time I was in there, so not sure why it snapped. Oh well, add it to the lst.

Dropped the differential, and plan on removing the alternator tomorrow just to free up additional room in general and to upgrade the big 3 while I am at it. After that I plan on attacking a suspected crankshaft leak, and then replace the waterpump. Plan on a bunch of other things, as well as re-doing my interior. Keeping the van, so gonna fix it up. Just copying stroverlander so you can save yourself the suspense and read his thread, though props to everyone here.

This sounds like a lot, but it is not, and it has been me chipping away over several days, I hope to keep this pace, but know it wont last lol. A majority of the suspension parts were already replaced previously, so with the help of some pre-sprayed pb blaster it has been generally easy. Also helps that I have an Oreillys in walking distance, and their tools have been in excellent shape. Torsion bar was a piece of cake with the van jacked, tires off, using the proper tool, especially considering they are stock to my knowledge, and I have heard they tend to freeze in place. Used the loaner pullers for the various front end parts, but those parts have been off previously, so again easy.

So much room, maybe I should leave it like this.

2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley