Wipers not working

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Wipers not working

Post by Rileysowner »

I am very frustrated at the moment. I got a new control board, put it in, and still have not got functioning wipers. At this point I have no idea what to do. I have power on the hot line. I have continuity from the switch. I have a new board. I have no functioning wipers. I don't know what to check.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The only thing left is the motor itself.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Yup, I guess so, although I have another motor in which the screws for the cover for the board broke off which also does not work with the new board. I was sure that motor was working, just the board being the issue, but with breaking off the screws for the cover I needed to replace it since I am really bad a removing broken off screws.
Jim

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Is there are way to bypass the board to test the motor running 12v and hooking it up to a ground? If so walk me though please.
Jim

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Picked up a motor at the wreckers on Tuesday and just put it in today. It works! However, I lost one of the bolts (dropped it because of cold hand and it has disappeared), and due to the cold and snow I can't get the motor reconnected to the linkage since I need to get the wiper arms and grill off and as fast as I remove the snow more falls so finding all those screws is almost impossible. It would be nice to get it all done today, but at least the end is in sight.
Jim

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I'm pretty much done now. Picked up a bolt from the wrecker to replace the one I lost. Got the motor attached to the linkage after using the heat gun to melt snow and ice covering all those screws holding the grill under the wiper arms and getting them out I could get just enough space to squeeze the pieces together. It would have been easier if I had just taken the wiper arms and grill off in the first place as getting the wiper arms off when the linkage is not attached to the motor is almost impossible, especially when it is well below freezing.

I started to put the screws back in only to find that the holes had filled with ice. I got the two end ones in, and a couple of the middle ones, but it was getting too dark and I was too cold to finish the rest. They will just have to wait especially since I don't want to lose any screws like I did the bolt.
Jim

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

sounds like it's working out!
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

That is what I thought. However, I moved the van the other day, a couple of days after we had an ice storm, and while the ice melted, there was a big freeze following that melting and a bunch of snow. When I moved the van after brushing it off and freeing the wipers, I wanted to run them over the window, but when I turned them on, nothing. It has been very cold (-6 to -16C) so I have not really looked at things. I am hoping that the motor is just frozen, but I am guessing that is not the case. It is snowing still today, so no real chance to look at it. I believe tomorrow is going to be snow free, so I may sweep away the snow and maybe hit things with a heat gun to melt away the rest so I can have a look. All I can say is this is getting very frustrating.
Jim

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

I'd go back to isolating the switch. I would pull the plug at the motor assembly and run a wire straight from the hot on the battery to the various terminals on the assembly: hot to purple should make the assembly work (if there is a black at the plug that may need to be grounded)
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Owly
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Owly »

Everybody's making this far too complicated................... These wipers have brush problems. Pull the plastic cover off the front of the wiper motor box...... the one with 3 torx screws. Take your finger and wipe the grease around on the disk where the brushes run. Also wipe some grease on the connections on the left side, plug it back together and it'll work fine. I've seen this problem on numerous of these wiper assemblies.

Problems that are completely unrelated often occur at nearly the same time.............. this doesn't mean that one caused the other.

Howard