performance And fear of change

Topic author
chevymaher
I get chills without my van.

performance And fear of change

Post by chevymaher »

Well my brother worked in a dyno shop for years so I got the inside track on some of this stuff.Any car with zero degrees timing and pumping exhaust into the intake will run horrible.I dont know why anybody thinks different.If you base its horsepower on that yes it will always suck.These engines exact same engine rated at 225 hp in a boat and the CPI typhoon motor was 240 hp with out boost.People do this stuff all the time then dyno it if they got money for bragging rights.Second point many cars dont even have the correct motor in them from the factory get over it.Pontiac used chevy motors for years before they even admitted they were doing it.They got sued is how it came out in public.Thats GM same as my van right?So not using the same motor not even a stretch cant even tell the difference unless you take it apart.Many cars pass through the dyno room that are brand new that dont even have the same make motor.These cars are brand new.Mitabushi and Gm been showing up in like models in wrong cars.I own a factory all numbers matching vehicle with the parts I have described and with the tuning changes it does run the way I say.I was trying to help by saying if you tune the silly thing it DOES read my lips put out more than the pathetic rated horsepower.Grow up grow a set and try some of this stuff.And saying I full of it by saying no I dont have what I say bite me.It sitting right there hire somebody to inspect the vehicle.Now I will go sit in my corner and have a time out.
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: performance And fear of change

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

It's a little tough to believe a guy who just shows up here and claims to have stuff he simply doesn't. A 97 subframe in a 94 that your mom bought new...sorry that is a flat out lie. I know the differences since I have owned and worked on my 95 and my 98. Also having a 1990 4L60E when they didn't come out until 1993? Come on...are we to believe you got the only 2 GM test vans out there? If so, why didn't one of them have a V8 also?

I do believe you on the engine tuning though as there are easily ways to get more power and efficiency than the factory provided. The key is tuning for your particular altitude, ambient temperature, and load. With access to a dyno, you can see what makes a difference and what doesn't. Most of us don't have that luxury. Also, unless you have tested the emissions coming out of the tailpipe, you can't say for sure it is cleaner burning. You already stated you don't have emissions testing.

On the quickness of your van. I agree, with a fine tuned engine, the 4.10's and posi you have, your van is quick. Is it the fastest in your neighborhood? No way! You claim to beat everything but highly tuned diesel trucks...come on! My 95 rwd conversion had an awesome running 4.3. It was stock and had 270k miles and it was by far the BEST running 4.3 I have ever driven. I also put 4.11 gears and an Auburn posi in and with the Transgo shift kit Lockdoc installed in the tranny, that thing would haul ass! Easily chirps both tires shifting into 2nd and I was running very grippy 235's. Was it fast? Yes, it was faster than any stock Astro or Safari around but it wasn't faster than my current stock Ram 2500 Hemi and my truck weighs over 3 tons empty.

Get done with your time-out and come back to play...just try not to be a ball hog. :yawinkle:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Randy,

Just a FYI being you are a newbie here.With the core group here,always assume they know aleast as much as you do(that isn't to discount your knowledge or disrespect you in anyway)or more.It is a important ref given what I have learned over the yrs from them.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
chevymaher

Post by chevymaher »

van getting stripped.jpg
There you go numbers matching frame,it the same underneath to I can take a pic.I got the tranny from my parts van and it in the basement.It is stamped 700R4 and my van does have that frame I got pics of it.And no I not sayin it the fastest but I do win more than I lose.And I not lying I only been beat by 2 trucks a denali it smoked me.and a duramax diesel that was tuned well.When you known for racing you vehicle it like being a gunslinger everybody wants some.Everybody in the street stock car class shall we say.wants it.Surely the hunk of junk can beat a mini-van geeze they been getting beat by everyone else.Anyway I will chill and pass the ball now.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

So you have a 94 subframe. I guess the point I am trying to make is that you can put any subframe from 1985 to 2005 under your 94. Just because you can put a 2005 subframe under doesn't mean it came with a 2005 subframe. There are distinct differences in a 94 and 97 subframe. The 2 I know of are where the ABS module is mounted and the brackets for the transmission shift linkages.

How old are you? You sound like a know-it-all teenager who is running mom's toys. :yawinkle:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:How old are you? You sound like a know-it-all teenager who is running mom's toys. :yawinkle:
:muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:
I'm guessing he is pretty young, as once maturity sets in, street racing becomes extremely un-cool.
Take it to the track, that's where the real racing takes place.
It will be a humbling experience for you.

Peter

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Kabey's Van wrote: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:
I'm guessing he is pretty young, as once maturity sets in, street racing becomes extremely un-cool.
Take it to the track, that's where the real racing takes place.
It will be a humbling experience for you.

Peter
Well said! Thanks. :muhaha:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Topic author
chevymaher

Post by chevymaher »

I g
Last edited by chevymaher on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

chevymaher wrote:Now the chevelle yea that could get a little hairy nail it and it obvious you doing something wrong.It all crazy sideways smokin the tires speeding within 60 feet.That one for a track.
Sounds like fun! :muhaha: How about throwing some pics of that beast on here?
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Topic author
chevymaher

Post by chevymaher »

Attachments
1128001629.jpg
primer 4.jpg
primer 3.jpg
Last edited by chevymaher on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

After reading your posts you come across as a poorly educated kid with a inferiority complex. Your English is broken at best and reads like 16 year old trying to talk trash. No one here is disputing that tuning a engine will help it run better.
You came in here and started off by jacking a thead with a bunch of crap about having a car made in the future that can beat anything. I am sorry but if your van is stock and was made 94 then your frame is a 94. As far as your awesome street drag record grow up. If your 18 stop before you get killed and don't get to grow old if you really are 50 then grow up! Do you really think you really stand a chance against a hemi dodge or a duramax pick up. People probably watch you go speeding off and just shake their head at how stupidly you drive.

We have had new members talk the same line of crap you have been pedaling they have all been young and gotten in real trouble in there life. One got caught at 120mph and lost his van and liscence. Please grow up and stop trying to be Mr. Knowitall you simply don't have the parts you say you do and don't make the power you claim if you do then prove it let's see a dyno run and post up the results if your right I will take it back and post an apology if not please pay some respect to the rest of the members we only wish to help people and many of us have had several vans and have a broad knowledge base because of that. Personally I am on my fourth van.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

x2
:withstupid:
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

UHM... don't you think you guys sort of ambushed him a little bit maybe lynched would be a better word. I don't remember if he said if the races were on a drag strip or not so i can't comment on that.

chevymaher: The part i do agree about with them is it felt like you came on a little strong like you were looking for bragging rights i don't know if it was intentionally or not but those are my .02 cents
What i did mean to ask but never got around to it before was for more specifics on the mods you've done to your van the EGR delete got my attention right off the bat but i feel there were some other interesting mods you posted about in threads all over the place if you could start a thread about you build people who are interested can follow it and comment/Question and anyone who isn't an ignore it or you can just PM me with the info i don't know if anyone else cares but I for one am interested

HMB
Cobra
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

All his races were on the streets. He posted no time slips or dyno runs and then he posted info for fact when I knew for fact it was false as did several others. I took it to PM and he brought it out in the open.

No ambush...we lynched him! :muhaha: But only to the facts. I also posted that I am sure he improved the power of his engine, but he also claimed it burned cleaner yet also said where he lives they don't do emissions testing nor do they care about the environment or future generations having to deal with the emissions.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i noticed the no time slips or dyno's still curious though if he doesn't respond i'll PM him i guess, since we do emissions here (actually had to go do it today and passed :supz: ) i wonder if it actually can be improved, would like to get a profession street tune done on my van some time this year too
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone