SES Light on, Can't check codes

Topic author
tehbawb
I am merely driving my van

SES Light on, Can't check codes

Post by tehbawb »

Ok, a couple weeks ago the van wasn't starting (wasn't getting a great spark, but it seemed like it should have at least fired a little), and after some troubleshooting, I was out of ideas and sunlight, so I put it all back together for the night. The next morning, it fires right up, but it's running really rough, and the Service Engine Soon light is on. The problem is, when I use the paperclip trick to try to check the codes, nothing happens (the light works, as it stays on, but doesn't flash like it should).

After a short test drive, it has a rather high idle (only when warm), and doesn't seem to shift into first, and the throttle isn't very responsive (it's very slow to accelerate, and if I'm going 40 and take my foot off of it it'll still be going 39 in a quarter mile or so).

So, what could cause problems checking the codes? And if anyone has any suggestions about the performance problems I'm having, those would be appreciated too #-o
1994 Astro RWD vin Z

Matrixx
I am smitten with my van

Re: SES Light on, Can't check codes

Post by Matrixx »

Hi tehbawb
The speed is normal if the the choke is still on (Hi idle). The thought that comes to mind first is Temp Sensor or an Air Leak without being able to read the codes. Hope this helps :)
96 Safari-500,000 Kilometers-92 Octane (Chevron)-Original Motor-Transmission-Cat-EGR-Starter-O2 Sensors Except 1-AirCared-Synthetic Blend in Engine and Transmission (Castrol Syntec for both) 3.73 Limited Slip rear end (Full Synthetic/Royal Purple 75/90w)-Michelin Latitudes (P215/75-15)&Munro Sensa-Trac shocks.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I can't help with the code reading, sorry.

Without knowing the codes it almost sounds like a plugged catalytic converter. It could also be a vacuum leak, mis adjusted TV cable or maybe needs a tune-up. Let us know if you made any head way on this yet.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
tehbawb

Post by tehbawb »

Well, I drove it to meet my wife for lunch yesterday, and when I got back in to head home, it wouldn't start. This time it won't even crank; when I turn the key (with all lights, radio, etc off), it just dims the clock on the radio like it normally would, but there is no sound (even from under the hood). The headlights work, and I've tried jumpstarting it, so I'm pretty sure it's not the battery, but I didn't have a chance to check anything else, as it was pouring down rain pretty hard when I was there last.

So, I'm getting it towed to my apartment today. What do I need to check? Is the starting system the only thing that could cause it not to crank? I've replaced the started in my Mustang (a couple times, actually), so I don't think I'll have too hard of a time once I figure out what's wrong, I'm just not very knowledgeable about cars yet so I'm not great at diagnosing. Oh, and I have the Haynes manual, but it's not the greatest so any advice would be appreciated.

Boy, I'm starting to hate this thing ](*,)
1994 Astro RWD vin Z

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If it dims the lights when it is trying to crank, it sounds like the starter is junk. You could check all the connections on the starter first though.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy