3rd gen Fuel Tank: size and dimensions

Topic author
forrestmccarthy
I am merely driving my van

3rd gen Fuel Tank: size and dimensions

Post by forrestmccarthy »

I’m planning to proactively replace the fuel pump on my 2004 Astro. While I’m at it I would like to replace my 22-gallon fuel tank with a 27-gallon tank. Everything I’ve read states that my 3rd generation Astro should have a 27 gallon tank. However, I’ve tested its capacity by intentionally running out of gas and found my current fuel tank only holds 22 gallons. Unless anyone knows where I can purchase a new 3rd generation 27-gallon plastic tank my only option is obtaining one from a junkyard.

Is the tank size listed on the parts code? If so what are the codes? Otherwise my only course of action is visiting junkyards with 3rd gen Astros and physically measuring the tank sizes.

The dimensions of my current 22-gallon tank are 11.5” high x 18” wide x by 48” long. Is anyone with a 3rd generation 27-gallon tank willing to measure it and provide its dimensions?

Thanks!!!

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: 3rd gen Fuel Tank: size and dimensions

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2003 AWD Astro LS window Wagon.
I think my fuel tank only holds about 22 gallons. Maybe there is a typo in some literature. I will try to measure my tank to compare with the dimensions you listed. When I go off road camping I often carry a 20 liter, 5 gallon Jerry can with spare fuel.
Since I have added a 3/4" plywood floor as well as 3/4" plywood side wall in rear, I built a solid mounting bracket that hold the Jerry can on left side in front of wheel well.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Again,
Looking for photo of my auxiliary fuel tank.
Here it is, and mounted spare tire in side on left.

AP
Attachments
1C6299D5-C2AA-4645-8659-5E4A76C269FE.jpeg

Topic author
forrestmccarthy

Post by forrestmccarthy »

Thanks Astophysics. When overlanding I have a 10 gallon auxiliary fuel tank on my roof rack. It's a marine tank and I use a shaker siphon to easily transfer the fuel to my tank. While this works well I would still prefer to have the 27 gallon capacity in my tank. I'm planning to proactively replace the problematic fuel pump before it fails. I thought I might be able to replace the tank at the same time.