Oil pan drop for Timing cover?

Topic author
ExtraParts
I am merely driving my van

Oil pan drop for Timing cover?

Post by ExtraParts »

Do i really need to drop the oil pan on an 03 to replace the timing cover? Looks pretty straight forward to me but chiltons and other users have said it is necessary, i just dont really see how it would help, theres barely a lip...

Also, tdc on #4, line up timing chain, button things up, tdc on #1, line up distributor, put the rest together, go... right?
(This thing has been undressed and in a coma for 2+ years :butthead: )

https://youtu.be/RfYhoSYlTts

Topic author
ExtraParts

Re: Oil pan drop for Timing cover?

Post by ExtraParts »

Also, do i need to bother with a harmonic balancer installer? The only parts store i can rent one from is an hour away down on the coast...
Also also, i totally forgot to put tdc on #4(its on #1) before removing balancer and cover, and i put it back on just by tapping it on with a mallet, did i likely mess something up by not using a harmonic balancer installer? If not, why would i need one?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I've never done a timing chain cover without dropping the pan. I don't trust that the seals will line up perfectly. As for the balancer I put a piece of 2x4 against it and gently hammer it in place. Always worked for me.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

tomas

Post by tomas »

Smiliesafari wrote:I've never done a timing chain cover without dropping the pan. I don't trust that the seals will line up perfectly. As for the balancer I put a piece of 2x4 against it and gently hammer it in place. Always worked for me.
Sounds like a better and more secure way to install it.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi All,

My 2003 AWD Astro has small oil leak at timing chain cover at 125,000 miles.

The front diff support brackets need to be lowered a bit to drop the engine oil pan , and also to replace the oil cooler lines.

AP