Guidance please! Burning oil.

Topic author
freedomfarmer
I am merely driving my van

Guidance please! Burning oil.

Post by freedomfarmer »

Hello, this is my first post. Young traveler, first Van, 95 Chevy Astro 60,000 miles. I seem to have burned/lost 2 quarts of oil in 500 miles. Not seeing any signs of leak, but am noticing excess exhaust now. #-o. Just own a small tool kit and seeking guidance where to start.... So check the spark plugs, pvc/breathers for oil residue? Right? Any sure tell signs its the seals? I dont have much experience working on vehicles but am eager to learn and get my hands dirty any pictures of details would help too. Thank You.
Also Im in the San Diego area so if anyone with a garage or expertise could help that would be a miracle and I could compensate with worktrade or rental fees.

VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Re: Guidance please! Burning oil.

Post by VanGoGo »

If it is burning that much oil in that short of a distance, the tailpipe would be a quick easy check, look for black oily residue.
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

Topic author
freedomfarmer

Post by freedomfarmer »

VanGoGo wrote:If it is burning that much oil in that short of a distance, the tailpipe would be a quick easy check, look for black oily residue.
thanks for your reply! Oddly there is no Oil residue in tailpipe. I just added a quart and drove 20 miles to work too.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

So if your not leaking it on the ground and your not burning it but you said you have something coming out the exhaust I would check your radiator. If you have a head gasket leaking, you could be burning antifreeze and you could also be putting oil into your coolant. Worth checking
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi ,

Just to be sure, you might check for leaks in the oil cooler lines that run from the drivers side of the radiatir down to the afapter plate by the oil filter. The crimp connecors udes to connect the metal lines to the rubber hoses often leak .

The replacement DORMAN. Kit is very good. To install new cooler lines on AWD Astro you need to liwere front differential just an inch or so by simply looseneing its mounting bracket.

AP

Topic author
freedomfarmer

Post by freedomfarmer »

I read somewhere on here that from the add oil to full markings on the dipstick is one quart. Is that true? If it is i really exaggerated my issue but am still concerned im burning oil.

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mmusicman »

Well if you're not leaking it... then you're most likely burning it. You've got to crawl underneath and look for oil leaks first! If none, then start looking at engine next.

PCV can be a big culprit! But not usually in a stock setup.

All this assuming you didn't crack a ring or have some other major engine malfunction. But this would likely show up as a fouled or very dirty plug. They should be checked.

Yes... add oil line is 1 quart low.

Did anything happen that started this?
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com