92 Astro Van Air Cleaner Air Temp Thermostat

Topic author
Roadwarrior
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

92 Astro Van Air Cleaner Air Temp Thermostat

Post by Roadwarrior »

Hello everyone. New guy here. I bought a 92 Astro from the original owner that is in incredible condition. Finally got in the "doghouse" to change the air filter and started checking out the air cleaner flapper the blocks cold air . . . lets in hot exhaust air from the "snorkel" to help the engine warm up faster. I have the round air cleaner (not rectangular) and believe the air control thermostat is mechanical, not vacuum operated. By that I mean there is a little copper pot inside the air cleaner neck that opens the baffle as it warms up. I don't think it's allowing the baffle to open all the way and would like to replace it. But no parts place has it. Any ideas or help out there?

Also, I would like to replace the original GM rubber matts (liners) that are on top of the carpet. I have surfed for hours but cannot find them. Any ideas?

Thanks so much . . .

Jim
El Cajon, CA

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 92 Astro Van Air Cleaner Air Temp Thermostat

Post by WoodButcher »

The bone yard is the only place your going to find either of those items stock, the odds are against you.
Unless your in the colder climates the air diverter (thermac device)in the filter housing can be removed. Drill the rivets and replace with sheet metal.
If you want to see if it is operational you'll want a heat gun and IR thermometer. Apply heat from a cold state, (put it in the fridge for an hour first) bringing the temp up to around 200 f. Don't go higher if you do you can damage the spring if it is good to begin with. That is the reason for the IR gun.
I used many of these mods on my 350 swap, some of them are just plain common sense and make you wonder why cars ere built the way the are.
http://www.thirdgen.org/ultimatetbi/

Bring a simple problem to an engineer just once and you will see the world in a new light...
](*,)
or this,,,
:axe:
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)