Ignition lock cylinder removal

Post by Cobra »

Tools:
Slotted screw driver
21mm socket
T25 torx bit
E5 torx socket
Bolt type puller set
Wire coat hanger (only in the automotive business would you consider that a tools….. oh maybe dry cleaners do too lol)

1.disconnect negative battery terminal
2.disable SIR system by disconnecting the yellow connector at base of steering column
3. insert key and turn ignition to run to unlock steering. then turn steering wheel 90 degree clockwise to access hole on rear of steering wheel
4. insert slotted screw driver until it feels like it has engaged on something and rotate it. The air bag assemble should begin to separate on one side of you did this correctly. (this sounds easier then it is)
5.rotate steering wheel 180 degrees counter-clockwise to access hole on rear of steering wheel
6.repeat step 4
7.gently pull airbag assemble away from steering wheel and unplug the yellow wire from it. There is a black clip you must first lift out of the yellow connector then you can gently use the slotted driver to pry the yellow connector out of the airbag assembly
8. turn ignition to off to re-lock steering, mark the steering shaft and steering wheel so you can reassemble it in the right position then remove the steering shaft nut
9. setup bolt type puller on steering wheel (make sure you have at least a half inch of threads in the holes on either side of the steering shaft) and remover steering wheel
10.pull out tilt lever there is only a spring clip holding it so a little tug should do it (skip this step if you don't have tilt steering)
11. remove the two torx screws from the lower steering column cover and remove cover fold back shifter boot to make life a little easier later on
12.remove the two E-torx screws from the underside of the upper steering column cover and lift it until you can see the access hole above the lock cylinder
13.bend coat hanger until you can get it in the access hole i had a 90 degree bend and about an inch hanging down after the bend just enough so it would prop up the upper steering column cover
14. turn ignition to run and push down on the coat hanger to disengage lock cylinder retainer then rotate ignition to run and release pressure from coat hanger if you did this correctly you should no be able to pull the locking cylinder out while in the run position. If not try again (this part took me a little while to get right)

Installation is the reverse, the ignition locking cylinder is keys so it will only come out of the steering column or go in if it is in the right position
all back together
Last edited by Cobra on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Ignition lock cylinder removal

Post by Smiliesafari »

Nice post, Cobra. I just did that on a 2000 Express van. I went a few step further and changed the ignition switch. PITA. I don't know why the designers change some things. The old style switch that screwed on top of the cloumn worked fine and was easily accessible. And was cheap too. The new style switch was $175.00.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Ignition lock cylinder removal

Post by Cobra »

i had to change it no one i know was able to get my van in accessory it was so warn even starting it took some skill good security system but a pain in the butt lol
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone