How do I remove the bracket for alt/tensioner/etc?

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

How do I remove the bracket for alt/tensioner/etc?

Post by Rileysowner »

As mentioned in another thread I broke the bracket the alternator in my '97 is mounted to. I have a replacement from a wrecker, but now am having difficulty removing the old one. What I can see is that this bracket has the alt, tensioner, and another pully attached to it. I have a breaker bar in the tensioner which I used to remove the belt, but now I can't get it out because there is belt for the tensioner to push against and it cannot move any further toward the drivers side of the car. As for the bracket I can it is mounted by two studs with nuts just above where the tensioner mounts. A bolt down below the tensioner which I cannot see a way to access, and another bolt attaching a wire (no idea what for) to the bracket on the passengers side, and a final bolt up top toward the drivers side. I would appreciate suggestion/directions. Also, since the tensioner and that pully need to go on the new one, is it easier to take them off while the bracket is still attached to the engine or after it is out? Right now I am pretty tired so I am easily frustrated but I have the two nuts loose, couldn't get to the lower bolt, and decided it would be better to step back, get a good night's sleep and try again tomorrow.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: How do I remove the bracket for alt/tensioner/etc?

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Well rested now?
If the accessories are easy enough to reach it might be easier to take them off before you remove the bracket.
That might help you hold it still while you get to all the bolts.
Mine broke too once on a snowy night, and I replaced it with a used one.
was pretty straightforward and easy with daylight and a fresh mind.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Thanks. Now I have had a good nights sleep, I don't have time to work on it. I guessing the van will be non-functioning for a while as things are pretty busy for me right now so I need to do the work when I am free to do so.
Jim

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Just for those who are interested. The easiest way to do this is with the upper fan shroud out of the way, remove the pulley and tensioner. Then remove the 10mm bolt on the passenger side, and the 10mm bolt up top on the drivers side of the bracket. Then remove the nut and two bolts that hold the tensioner on. After a little wiggling you can get this past all the hoses and over the stud that it is mounted on. It takes some wiggling to get in back in, but again it isn't bad. Just reverse the order of everything you removed.
Jim