How to change a fuel filter on a 97 Astro w/pics!

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

How to change a fuel filter on a 97 Astro w/pics!

Post by SafariRoadster »

I couldn't find a write up on this so I just did the old fashion way and figured it out. But I figured if someone wasn't sure it'd sure help them out. First the location. On mine it was on the drivers side underneath the van right past the drivers door. I sprayed the fuel pump fittings yesterday with PB Blaster so it'd be easier to get off today. It worked. The only issue I had with getting it off was figuring out that only the rear fitting loosens up and the fuel pump itself screws onto the front fitting. So basically use get the rear fitting off first and then unscrew the fuel filter from the front fitting. In the pics you can see that the fuel filter is just past the front subframe.
On mine I used a 5/8 Wrench on the smaller fittings and an adjustable on the fuel filter.
Also the fuel filter sitting next to the wix box is the one I took off the van.
Hope this info was helpful to someone.

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Re: How to change a fuel filter on a 97 Astro w/pics!

Post by SafariRoadster »

I had hoped this would fix my problem of the van not starting. You can tell its fuel related though. So now I have a new fuel filter, and I can hear the fuel pump engaging as I have a hole in the floor right about it. So what could be the problem?

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Is it cranking strong but just not catching?

Possible culprits ...Cap & rotor ( but i know you have a slightly different set-up in the 97's compared to my old 95) Also, could perhaps be the EGR valve as well, it may be gummed up and stuck open.

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

OK I got my new fuel pump in today. I went the cheaper route and bought one off ebay for $71.90 shipped. I checked his feedback and didn't have any negative feedback as far as defective parts. I had my dad come over and give me a hand. I didn't take too many pics as its already been covered before in a previous post. But heres some of my tips. On the 97 it has a metal retaining ring. I used a pair of neednose pliers to get that out of there. Disconnect the power wires. Then it pretty well just pulled up or so I thought. We spent probably 15 mins fightin with it trying to pull it straight up. Not how you do it. After we finally got it out and tried to install the new one the same way. We discovered something. You have to first angle it so the fuel float goes in first the put the rest of the fuel assembly in. I wish someone had pointed that out to me. We also struggled with getting it to go all the way down with the new rubber seal. So we took it back out and saw some rust around the edge of the fuel hole. Held a rag inside the fuel tank and lightly sanded around it. Then lightly coated the rubber seal with some lubricant and it finally went down. Then the last issue was swapping the black sensor over to the new fuel pump and swithing over the little plastic connector pieces. After that we fired it up and low and behold IT STARTED!!!!!! I tried starting it before the install and you could here the pump going but it wouldn't start. Installed this one and first crank it started. Not to mention a whole lot quieter. I'm thrilled. Only took about 45 mins to swap out. Heres the pics I took. My old fuel pump was an airtex. Heres a link to my ebay fuel module I bought for my 97 Astro http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT
OLD FUEL PUMP.
OLD FUEL PUMP
New fuel pump module I purchased off ebay for $71.90 shipped