alternate Oil filter

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

alternate Oil filter

Post by Moreforles »

I thought the standard oil filter was a bit small, so compared a couple others, found one about one third longer, threads seemed the same, gaskets matched up, so tried it.... pressures holding around 50 or so, no leaks.... and holds roughly a half a quart more oil.... so should be a good thing.

additional filter material, and a little more oil to filter... so extend the oils life. Also used the High mileage, synthetic blend along with the larger filter, also designed for high mileage vehicles.

Any thoughts or anyone already tried this, with or with out success..... Basically got the Idea from using the large 2 quart filter on my RV with the 350... unfortunately the 2 quart filters don't fit the astro.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: alternate Oil filter

Post by astrozam »

So.... which filter did you get?

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Haven't heard of anyone doing that with an Astro, but it was a fairly common mod on the Ford Rangers.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

YA.........what brand and part number?????????????? The part number for the large V8 filter is; Wix 51794.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

will grab the box if I can find it or look under the van tomorrow..... Fram High mileage w/built in additive??? (figured it couldn't possibly hurt, since van has over 200,000 miles on it already... but starts and runs smooth, had been sitting for nearly a year... no smoke or misses, no dash lights on) other than "tow/haul"? came on once, but didn't remain... I guess that means it has a towing/hauling package of some kind....??? first time I ever saw that one on one of my vans

supposedly the van had had the Trans rebuilt or replaced by AMOCO, and started slipping again, they didn't honor warranty for what ever reason (I thought they had a one year or even lifetime warranty?) and previous owner was not willing to put more money into the van. * luckily for me, I hope....

anyway... the filter screwed on and after adding oil and letting it run for over a half hour, no leaks... scavenged vent shades from 98 along with nearly new air filter,
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

astrozam wrote:So.... which filter did you get?
HM 3980

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

Smiliesafari wrote:YA.........what brand and part number?????????????? The part number for the large V8 filter is; Wix 51794.
I picked up one of the 2 quart filters for my 86 RV, 350 V8 with 4 barrel Carb. Oil has less than 2000 miles on it, but over 2 years old.... so figured it wouldn't hurt to change it, maybe save the old oil for a friend of mine, he has oil leak and adds about a quart a week.... so his van changes it's own oil.... he just has to change the filter every now and then #-o

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

Wally world has/had the high mileage synthetic blend oil on sale, for $16 for 5 quart container, so between oil and filter, it was still cheaper than taking it to lube stop.... (although I still have to find my grease gun and hit all the fittings and check my rear end gear lube) since I have the extra space available, I can add some Lucas to the oil as well and still use 5 quarts..

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Meterpig »

The astros used a different filter on the 02's than the older vans..probably due to the filter adapter. Anyway, I used the older spec filter now..fits fine..especially after I tossed the oil cooler lines. Anyhow..I will try the V8 on the next change.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

:cheers: Sorry to bump an old topic, but I've an add: Most Chevrolet Turbo-Fire 262 and Vortec 4300 installations in the M-body (e.g. my 1997 Safari SLE) had the engine oil filter awfully close to the headpipe. I'd first used K&N® Performance Oil Filters in two generations of Ford E-series, and they're a cinch to drain and dismount with a 1" socket or offset box wrench. As part of my first oil change on the SLE, I replaced an aftermarket filter with the HP-2001. A 1" 6-point deep and a matching breaker bar, and the odds of a burn are lengthened. :D
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi All,
I have 2003 AWD Astro. I have used the longer Wix oil filter for years since i got the van in 2006. Conveniently enough the same long Wix oil filter also fits my 2008 Pontiac Gran Prix 3.8 liter V6.

I will look up the PN.

Yes, it is nice to increase the capacity of oil since oil too helps to cool the engine as well as libricate.

AP

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Yep, started using the longer filter like what came on my '97 on my '04 when I got it and noticed it had the short filter.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander