How do I change the headlight?

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

How do I change the headlight?

Post by Rileysowner »

On the way to the hospital Monday night I noticed on of the headlights is burned out. Now that I am home, and can't find my haynes manual, how do you change the light bulb on my Safari?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Re: How do I change the headlight?

Post by Kabey's Van »

You have one guy hold the lightbulb while 20 guys pick up the van and rotate it. :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Always a funny guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :muhaha: If it's the single rectangle bulb as the "Smilie Van" then you will need to remove the grille. It's not as bad as it may sound. Only a hand full of screws. If it's the composite I don't have a clue. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

On the '97 (and I would assume other late models) you open the hood. Above the light there are two 10mm bolt holding the light bracket to the vehicle. Take those out. To side there is another 10mm bolt holding a trim piece that looks like a light in. Take that out and the piece will come out very easily. Behind where it used to be is another 10mm bolt (the last one holding in the light fixture). Take that out and it will come out easily. Unplug the non-working bulb. Remove by turning counter clockwise. Carefully take the new bulb, not touching the bulb surface, put it in the fixture and turn clockwise to click it in. Plug in the electrical connector. Reverse the above putting in the bolts, and you are done.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

clarkperez2334

Post by clarkperez2334 »

Rileysowner wrote:
On the '97 (and I would assume other late models) you open the hood. Above the light there are two 10mm bolt holding the light bracket to the vehicle. Take those out. To side there is another 10mm bolt holding a trim piece that looks like a light in. Take that out and the piece will come out very easily. Behind where it used to be is another 10mm bolt (the last one holding in the light fixture). Take that out and it will come out easily. Unplug the non-working bulb. Remove by turning counter clockwise. Carefully take the new
headlight bulb, not touching the bulb surface, put it in the fixture and turn clockwise to click it in. Plug in the electrical connector. Reverse the above putting in the bolts, and you are done.
This is exactly what I'm looking for. :D Thanks for sharing this mate!
I can now properly install my new headlight.

abitdazed
I am merely driving my van

Post by abitdazed »

Can someone post for pre-95s?
I grew up with a trusty 1977 Dodge Tradesman 200. Now I've a '93 GMC Safari. 250k km. 2WD. Indoctrination?

abitdazed

Post by abitdazed »

Smiliesafari wrote:Always a funny guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :muhaha: If it's the single rectangle bulb as the "Smilie Van" then you will need to remove the grille. It's not as bad as it may sound. Only a hand full of screws. If it's the composite I don't have a clue. \:D/

Oh right. nevermind. Thanks :drinkers:
I grew up with a trusty 1977 Dodge Tradesman 200. Now I've a '93 GMC Safari. 250k km. 2WD. Indoctrination?

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

abitdazed wrote:Can someone post for pre-95s?
you dont have to remove the whole grill, just the headlight bucket (4 torx head screws) and then loosen the retaining ring around the headlight (3 phillips screws) the head light will come right out and you can install the new one.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

abitdazed

Post by abitdazed »

Sweet. I should've known that. First vehicle with these style headlights in a long long time.

Thanks though.