Metric or SAE?

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
greybeard
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Metric or SAE?

Post by greybeard »

Haven't had my 2000 Astro for very long, month or so maybe. Getting ready to throw a basic set of tools together to carry in the van..
I haven't done much to the vehicle yet because the previous owner had been meticulous with his maintenance and kept records..
The few things that I have checked so far have been metric. Is this the case throughout, or is it Hybrid, like some metric, some SAE?

Tnx.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Metric or SAE?

Post by Herbie »

I'm fairly certain it's all metric.

I keep a set of SAE wrenches for the two or three things I've bolted on that are SAE (modified seat mounting bolts, the carrier racks on my rear doors, etc.), but as far as I can recall, I haven't needed those wrenches for anything "normal". (I try to only work on the van with tools I keep in the van, so I always know if I'm missing a tool I need for a job.)
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Metric or SAE?

Post by Herbie »

Was retouching a couple of projects today and I did find one OEM fastener that's SAE: The upper transmission cooler line (the one you disconnect to splice in the aux transmission cooler) requires a 3/4" wrench.

I'm guessing that even though GM mostly standardized on metric, pipe fittings (NPT fittings, etc.) are all still SAE.

Hope that helps.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.