AstroSafariVans.com

The premier site for Astro and Safari van information
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump - Fuel Sender Assembly - Replacement Procedure
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:04 pm 
I am merely driving my van

New member, just reading through some post.

Fuel pumps: After owning several of these vans and replacing 6 or 7 fuel pumps, I can tell you that the life of an aftermarket fuel pump is much shorter than you are going to want it to be. They will strand you AGAIN, within a year.

On the plus side, if you continue to buy the $40 aftermarket junk, you will get pretty good at dropping the tank in a vacant lot, off the side of the road.

1998 Astro
1999 Astro Conversion
Current:
1996 Astro, 25K on crate motor
2003 PT Cruiser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:25 pm 

Thanks for the advance information on the procedure. As of 13 September 2018 my Safari SLE went down HARD enroute - engine suddenly died and would not restart, on an uphill. No DTC's thrown when it happened. I'd previously changed out the Delphi fuel pump in a now-retired Ford E-250, but the pump/sender assembly was held on the tank that vehicle with a clamp ring with six screws and I could access the pump itself once out of the tank. The Safari uses an ultra-fine-screw-style lock ring for which I don't have the correct spanner (a General Motors J-series tool required in all Dealer service departments), and I need more jackstands than I have to raise the vehicle uniformly for my floor jack to engage the tank itself (a task compicated by running boards installed by a previous owner). Any additional tips here?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:12 pm 
I sleep in my van

Hi Everyone,

Very good info. My 2003 AWD has 130,000. I have changed fuel filter every 25,000 miles or so.

I may cut a hole in floor and install hatch. We should post a card board scaled template to show where to cut the floor.

Thank you all for great ideas.

AP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm 

Astrophysics wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Very good info. My 2003 AWD has 130,000. I have changed fuel filter every 25,000 miles or so.

I may cut a hole in floor and install hatch. We should post a card board scaled template to show where to cut the floor.

Thank you all for great ideas.

AP

Smart thinking, @Astrophysics! On 1996-up passenger wagons with the modular-benches option (e.g. my 1997 SLE), the location should be immediately inboard of the left 2nd-row anchor point - I's able to locate the fuel pump/sender assembly in the horizontal and the fill pipe is to the immediate left on the tank. The actual floor cut is probably best done with the tank out of the way, as there are three QD hardlines for fuel and vapor plus at least one electric harness.

Update: :-S Plumbing fooled me! Pipes actually run along the joist above the fill pipe and go into flexlines ending in QD's that attach to the the pump/sender assembly, which is at is at mid-tank. The floor cut therefore needs be a joist back on the unit body from the fill pipe. Same cautions apply.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:25 am 

I ran across a Japanese second source: We know about the AC-Delco MU1782 (GM P/N# 19180091; FRU# 19331282, 25178736), a design upgrade for my 1997 SLE. But apparently NIPPONDENSO wants in on the backport action, and their Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly SX2774 is advertised as having an improved pump and turbine design. Both units have a weakness I identified in the form of accordion-plastic send hosing, which I plan to upgrade to FI-grade reinforced butyl rubber. (I really want to retrofit Aeroquip® triple-braid stainless, which is proof against everything that the major oil companies had to put into California 87-octane over the past three decades; but the cost is prohibitive as of 17 September 2018.) My question: Can the SX2774's pump stand up to methanol, methyl-3-butyl ether, and other nasty components which factored into the materials of AC-Delco MU1380 (GM P/N# 15036173; a specification pump and sender assembly for 2001-2005 M-Body with Regular Production Option K53)?