astro camping questions

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
68gmc780
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

astro camping questions

Post by 68gmc780 »

My wife and I are thinking about doing a van/camping road trip in the last half of September,through coastal Washington,Oregon and possibly northern California.We're from way north in Alberta so weknow nothing about what seasonable weather norms to expect.I haven't outfitted my Astro van yet but am wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of weather to expect.Will I need window bug screens,an aux heater,a/c, roof vent? etc.I have a futon that will work as a bed once the back seats are out,have all kinds of camping "gear'" but have never camped in a minivan.I don't want to go wild on modifying the van,I'll be putting the seats back in when we're done,but any camping tips you could offer would be helpful. Thanks!

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: astro camping questions

Post by Herbie »

Heater: No. (But probably a good sleeping bag or blankets)
A/C: Probably not, and not practical anyhow.
Roof Vent: Probably not, especially if you get a screen for the rear.
Bug screens: Yes.

I use these for the front windows:
http://www.theskeeterbeater.com/

I am in the process of making a screen for the rear hatch. In muggy conditions, we do not get quite enough airflow through the van if someone is sleeping in the pop-top bunk (the opening is too small and too close to the front windows to get sufficient airflow. Top-up and nobody in the upper bunk is much more open so the airflow is greatly improved, but that doesn't apply to most folks.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Re: astro camping questions

Post by photo_van »

We just returned from 5 weeks in the PNW and northern Rockies. We only used our bug screens a couple of times and to be honest, my experience up there would suggest little in the way of bugs by late September. As for heat, the temps can be pretty variable that time of year as can be the weather. If you have a Mr Heater it might be nice to take; it's nice to have after multiple days of dampness. T.Low would have better info....

BTW, my nettings consist of no-see-um netting cut roughly to size and magnetic strips pulled from old refrigerator doors. I keep the strips in the door jams and fold the netting under the mattress.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710