Covering Rear Windows for Camping

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Covering Rear Windows for Camping

Post by ihatemybike »

3M Dual Lock 250 (JDY3DKF) is a Velcro like product used here is Illinois to hold our iPass toll transponders on our windshields. Whatever glue they use on it seems impervious to heat. When it comes to automotive projects, I always use this stuff instead of Velcro.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

ihatemybike wrote:3M Dual Lock 250 (JDY3DKF) is a Velcro like product used here is Illinois to hold our iPass toll transponders on our windshields. Whatever glue they use on it seems impervious to heat. When it comes to automotive projects, I always use this stuff instead of Velcro.
I ended up ordering this online before I left for my trip South. Used it on the window glass, and the normal velcro on the covers so I could remove them! The only downside to using reflectix over curtains is when down you have to store them somewhere, so I will probably ditch them for curtains. Regardless the velcro worked great in the Colombian heat, thanks for the tip.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Mathil
I am merely driving my van

Post by Mathil »

Curtains mounted on tracks, ropes, bungees or rails are susceptible to extra dirt, get in the way of shoulder checks, and have a few other downsides. They are, however, extremely easy to set up when at the campsite, and are probably the best option for a full time RV. I prefer to use aluminum strips on the top, screwed to backing blocks behind the headliner. The aluminum can be bent to rest directly on the headliner when the curtains aren't deployed, thereby getting them out of the way. Bungees and ropes both pull on the pillar covers they usually mount to, and intrude into the van compartment more. The top of the curtain is simply folded over to make a tunnel to feed the aluminum rail through. 1/2" x 1/8" flat works nicely.

Removable curtains can also be easily made. Sew up the appropriate panels and use snaps, or "lift the dot" fasteners to easily snap them up. When not in use all you see is a few snap studs. It's best to back the studs with some plywood behind whatever you're screwing in to. This method also works very well for a front curtain, regardless of what method is used for the rear windows.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Uh, Where have you been? Good answer.

When we first started putting the van together 5 1/2 years ago, my wife came home with some of those Sun shields that sort of twist-fold up into little bags. They're super convenient , cover the windows about 95%, and you just jam them in there. They are super easy to store.

Every time I put them into the windows I always catch myself saying that I need to make some curtains, but then I get on with camping and exploring and go home and forgot all about it. It's a bit of a half assed solution. But works just well enough that I'm not in a hurry to make curtains that would actually be better.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

When I was reduced to sleeping in my van after being disposessed, I used foam board available at any store. It fits snugly and cuts out the light and insulates as well.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

I also use 2 of the 24 inch long mini bungee cods with plastic ball securing both ends to make the bungee into a loo.
Then stretch bungee between coat hanger hooks to create curtain rod effect. From this bungie you can support the nice thin mesh black shade cloth panels. Then even tuck thin aluminized insulation in as well but at least the shade cloth allows a bit more privacy

Ironhide

Post by Ironhide »

I just got a roll of Reflectix reflective bubble insulation, cut to fit each window. Make sure its a tight fit. I don't need any hook and loop at the moment, just press in to fit and mine stay up. Although my front windows will need hook and loop. For the windshield I use a vehicle specific sun shade. Hope this helps.
Attachments
Another view of window covers.
Another view of window covers.
I store all the Reflectix covers behind this cargo net, which doubles as storage.
I store all the Reflectix covers behind this cargo net, which doubles as storage.
You can see the Reflectix in the far side windows. You need to cut notches for the side widow latches.
You can see the Reflectix in the far side windows. You need to cut notches for the side widow latches.

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Ironhide wrote:I just got a roll of Reflectix reflective bubble insulation, cut to fit each window. Make sure its a tight fit. I don't need any hook and loop at the moment, just press in to fit and mine stay up. Although my front windows will need hook and loop. For the windshield I use a vehicle specific sun shade. Hope this helps.
I used the reflectix to make the windshield cover, I Just cut it into 2 pieces, larger than the opening so there was overlap to hide light. Another option for you
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley