Anyone have beds in your van?

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
Derek939
I am smitten with my van

Anyone have beds in your van?

Post by Derek939 »

I've been searching through the site looking for ideas to build a bed in my van. It's a 91 rwd ext with the rear seats takin out. Lately I've been building Mountain Bike trails for skibowl so I stay up on Mt. Hood for 3 days of the week camping out of the van. I've just been using a fold up cot because it's small and fits in the van with my bikes. I'm wanting a little bit bigger bed that could maybe just fold up and cover the windows on the inside of the drivers side when it's not being used. Does anybody have anything like this or any ideas of what or how to build it?

Thank you all! It's time to go build some trails!
1991 Astro RWD EXT w/187000 miles
1991 GMC safari RWD shorty w/151000 miles
Runs off of Bacon!
The revolution of the Maing Bus!!!

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Anyone have beds in your van?

Post by Astrophysics »

Yes, side monting of a bench seat on drivers side is a practical way. I have done this in Astro as well as full size Chevy G20 vans.
For a quick side mount platform:
1 cut a piece of 3/4 nice plwood with jig saw to match the curve of rear wheel well.
Attach to wall using the seat belt sholder harness bolt,
2. Attach heavy duty folding shelf brackets (10, 12 inch) to the wall plywood. Mount so horizontal part of shelf bracket is about (17 to 20 inch ) off the floor. Note: i also recommend putting 1/4 inch masonite on the floor of van for a flat clean surface before actually starting the slleep platform.
3. Now decide how wide a sleeping platform is desired typ (24 to 30 inch wide by 72 inch long) use 5/8 or 1/2 plywood for sleep platform so it can flex a little for softer bed then get chaise lounge folding polyester cushion for matress
4. When platform is stowed or even just left in place you can fit your mt bike inside the van next to platform.
5. Store gear under platform in milk cases
PLan B
Get a sofa / sleeper bench seat a pic a part from VW camper and installed it
For floor mount trick i use is to insert U bolt to oem floor mount brkts and attach adapter plate or Uni strut channel to the U bolt then mount bench seat to Uni strut

More later when i have time i can post photos frm my pc

AP

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I built a platform behind the bench seats that's level with the folded seat backs. On top of which I have a full size futon mattress. The van converts from seating 5 to sleeping 2 in less than a minute. Tri-folding the mattress and strapping it to the platform, the van still seats 8. With the front wheel removed my BMX easily fits under the platform. Version two of my platform will be for when the third row is removed and should have enough room for a couple bikes, all my tools and spares.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Derek939
I am smitten with my van

Post by Derek939 »

I like the idea astrophysics! I usually roll around with one downhill bike and one XC/Freeride bike. Usually both together take up from the sliding door to the edge of the passenger seat. Im hoping to make the bed here shortly, also contemplating ripping out my carpet and having my buddy weld in some hinges or something to make it super simple and easy to fold up and down.

Thanks for the help!
1991 Astro RWD EXT w/187000 miles
1991 GMC safari RWD shorty w/151000 miles
Runs off of Bacon!
The revolution of the Maing Bus!!!

trevcda
I am merely driving my van

Post by trevcda »

I spend a fair amount of time sleeping in my van when I do sound at festivals in the summer. I wanted something that wasn't permanent but still comfortable. I found that an inflatable double sized matress fits perfectly with no side to side movement in the back. At somewhere between 20 to 40 bucks each I keep two with one as a spare in its original box and the other folds into a small dry bag. A sleeping bag and a pillow and I'm in business and best of all it takes up very little room that gets used for coolers and misc sound gear. If I bring cycles they reside either on the Yakima on top or the hitch mount on back when I'm sleeping.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

More ideas on sofa beds:
Dodge or Chrysler mini van seats from pin n pull are awesome since they are about 4 " narrower than OEM Astro bench seat it makes more space to get to rear of van and the great thing about them is that they fold flat for use as a bed and also fold flat for cargo shelf.
Just unbolt Astro bench seat uphoultery from the frame. Leave oem frame mounted to floor and make adapter rails from 7/8" high uni strut or super strut channel. I recommend the 7/8 channel rather than full 1 5/8" channel .
Also for astro owners with front and rear bench seats make sure to use the bench seat that has the 2 to 4 " of slide adjustment fwd and aft

I akso mounted a 2 person mini bench seat sideways in the left rear.
This gives 7 passenger instead of 8 but frees los of space for mt bikes

AP

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Some pictures in my build thread:
viewtopic.php?p=71667#p71667

I used a sofa/bed from a Dodge van conversion that lays back, and extended the length of the bed to the rear door with a simple wooden platform with steel legs. The forward portion of the platform is supported by a box I made that snugs up behind the sofa/bed that houses my aux battery and tools, etc. My camping gear slides underneath. Main advantage to this setup is that it sits relatively low (16" from floor to top of cushions) so you can sit up in bed.

Using the stock fold-forward seats is more mechanically convenient (and I'd love to be able to remove my seat with the factory ease), but raises everything up 4-6" or so and you cross the threshold of "enough headroom to sit up".
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

rccarver

Post by rccarver »

cheaprvliving.com has an Astro section on converting

cf100mk5

Post by cf100mk5 »

I have a simple bed made from 2x4's and a sheet of plywood.Made the bed higher so I could fit in my shelving underneath so it is a bit snug and unfortunately I can't read in bed but it is comftorable.It all comes apart easily.Lived in my van for 4 months quite happily.
Attachments
IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG

sandfly
I get chills without my van.

Post by sandfly »

I had this in mine, with coolers and boxes in front part made a full size bed..
DSCN0729.JPG
sandfly/bob
(http://www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
I didn't Escape----They gave me a day pass !
95 astro SOLD
needs work no $$$$.$$
overland vans 4" lift
30 x 9.50 x 15 tires
I want more!!
taking donations for the home for wayward vanners...
1990 ford E-150 original 104,000 + miles

arlon
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by arlon »

I have a bed now.. 44" wide x 74" long and doubles as storage and bench seat.

2004 AWD Astro 2" lift, overnight-able
2003 Dodge/Cummins Quad cab
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO
Plus wife's and kid's cars to take care of...

Sir Brutius Maximus

Post by Sir Brutius Maximus »

I have a dodge conversion bed mounted on stock quick release bases

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Now I am fabricating a sleeping shelf for kid. It will be
3/8 plywood, sanded one side that fits across front bucket seats.
About 60 x 24 inches. Prime and paint after jig saw rounding of corners to get rid of sharp edges. To make the plywood level, I plan to put foam wedge on each seat since the seat cushions are slanted for normal orthopedic comfort.

AP

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

Hey Derek,
I work at Big Winds in Hood River during the week. Give me a call if you're coming to town and I can show you my van setup and maybe
discuss options for your van. How late in the season does the Bowl keep the bike trails open? 541-386-6086.
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

cf100mk5 wrote:I have a simple bed made from 2x4's and a sheet of plywood.Made the bed higher so I could fit in my shelving underneath so it is a bit snug and unfortunately I can't read in bed but it is comftorable.It all comes apart easily.Lived in my van for 4 months quite happily.
Damn I thought I had the highest bed here but you are the clear winner
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley