Astro camper van.....

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

ryanhettenbach
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Astro camper van.....

Post by ryanhettenbach »

i pondered the same question.

I figure if you brace the steel roof and weld in strong hood hinges...like from a 70's Caddy, and then support it with good gas struts it could be possible.
1989 Cargo 5spd. Fiberglass Roof.
2002 AWD LS, white

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

dunedog wrote:Image

I'm thinking on using this,seeing it's sitting in my driveway,and the pop top condo's are probably too expensive for me.Their tops aren't available now.
You holding out on us Jim? :yawinkle:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

I'm thinking on using this,seeing it's sitting in my driveway,and the pop top condo's are probably too expensive for me.Their tops aren't available now.

Pop tops are still available in Vancouver. Not cheap, and apparently can't get the T-Top, only the V-top (angled). (Gee, how do I know this...hmm)
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

mines a 94, I picked it up for $500, it was running when I bought it but I think I let it sit too long, I had the fuel tank and pump replaced, now getting 60 psi but still wont start, getting spark so I've been told its most likely the spider intake/injector? so when the weather breaks, I'll get started on it (hopefuly)

plan on running a 4' wide (partially hinged) by almost 7' long bed on the drivers side form the front seat to the back doors, on the passenger side, low counter from sliding door to back door with sink and either 2 burner propane cooktop or use a folding camp stove. A tv either on the counter or mounted (not sure where yet) on a wall bracket. either small refrigerator or 12 volt cooler

Hitchhaul on back for water tanks (2 fifteen gal) and propane tank(s)
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Yeppers-look in ebay for frig's where I have been shopping for a replacement frig for my RV.(got to look in the RV section)I think you are looking for a two way frig.Be aware they are not cheap.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Check with your local RV dealer for old campers that are getting parted out, the school bus conversion forums always mention this.

For your TV are you wanting big or would a ceiling mount LCD with swivel work?
Last edited by ihatemybike on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

as far as Cleveland goes.... been here all my life, been tired of it, at least half of that time. I have family in Va. and NC - good for visits and a couple that my wife and I went to high school with just bought a house in Texas and that will be another good place to visit. myself, I looking at Southern ohio
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

So far, other than using it like a storage shed, filling it with RV parts and such, I had to replace the sliding door window as some crackheads lived across the street from my friend and a rock magically ended up inside the van, shattering the window. That was the main reason I got it to my house to keep anything else from happening to it. as simple as it sounds, the previous owner, had bought it from salvage yard (yep, salvage title) the drivers side had been side swiped, from the drivers door to the back doors.... the guy ordered a new panel from the dealer and put it on, had it in primer but started playing with drugs and needed money (good thing I guess, otherwize I wouldn't have got it so cheap.... now it I can only make myself do what I can imagine........ (easier said than done....)

My hobby as a couple years ago, is gold prospecting, so far I've spent time and about $300 on equipment and gas and fees, to find about $100 worth, but pretty good with a gold pan now, just need to be in a place that has some to find....

Thats the main thing I have in mind for the astro camper van... easier on gas than the big RV, enough room for me and if I set up the front seat to swivel, someone else can use the bed and I'll recline and snooze in the seat.

As far as the prospecting goes the next peice of equipment will be a good metal detector, possibly one that's usable underwater as well, and then after that, new scuba tanks or a Hooka system..... (compressor and airlines)

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

ihatemybike wrote:Check with your local RV dealer for old campers that are getting parted out, the school bus conversion forums always mention this.

For your TV are you wanting big or would a ceiling mount LCD with swivel work?

Here's an excellent school bus conversion. May or may not be a few usable ideas for a smaller RV, but it sure is a fun read.

http://www.vonslatt.com/
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Moreforles wrote:I looking at Southern ohio
Be careful what area :-# :muhaha: :D
Seriously, if ya decide to come towards Cinci, let me know, I can help ya out a little.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

The Tiger Gt's that are a full motor home range from $8,000 to $12,000 for a 1989.Yeah-like I said they are pricey.So if you find one at a good price and restore it ,it would be hard to lose your investment.
Love the way that first gen. motor home looks. Have only seen a couple around. Got any pics of that model Gary ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Mat Mobile
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Mat Mobile »

If I could get Matt or Peter to find me one of these up in Quebec,it would be my choice.
They don't produce the top for the Astro/Safari size van anymore [-(
Jim, I went to visit their plant a looong time ago. Before I joined the site (the first one) and before I had this van.

Their owners cherish them... If you need help just PM.
Mathieu
My '91 Astro.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

TV doesn't have to be that big, in fact I've got a little tine color tv with i think a 4" screen somewhere in my house, havn't seen it for a while... but a small LCD model will probably work fine (use less power that conventional one too I think)

I'm looking for 5 to 10 acres in Southern/central Ohio, around Cambridge, where I 70 crosses 77. Close enough that I can comute for awhile to keep my current customers, until I get situated there, and build a clientel there big enough to support my life style or hopefully a better one than I have now..... All work and little play makes for a tired body.....

robertg
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by robertg »

i browsed that bus rv site. neat stuff!
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

A good rv forum to visit is http://www.irv2.com

They cover pretty much all forms of rv's

Since I last posted to this thread I learned that the Tiger Provans GT's was a pop-up version and the XL's where the hard top version as I pictured below.

If you PM Vangeorge,he is closely connected to Provan and I am not sure if you can still get the pop-ups for Astros/Safaris from them.He did tell me that the molds for the XL's are long gone.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.