Astro camper van.....

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Re: Astro camper van.....

Post by Moreforles »

:yikes: ran out of room in the sdtbrv (some day to be rv) right now its pretty much filled from windshield to back doors, floor to ceiling, the drivers seat is the only thing thats empty... I think I'll try to stop collecting (try harder anyway, I hate to pass up freebies and nearly freebies.... :peep:

wish I could keep the full size and use it for a shed, and empty out the astro, but could use the money from scrapping it to buy more parts instead.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

cd0156
I get chills without my van.

Post by cd0156 »

Ok.. I have been meaning to get pics of this.. and now I think I will be able to.. I have a customer that has a Quigley 4x4 diesel lifted Ford Econoline van with a FULL RVIA certified Sportmobile conversion with a pop top. We just removed the roof to have it Linexed and I took a look at how they did the pop top on it. I think with some creativity this can DEFINATELY be reproduced on our vans. ESPECIALLY if you already have a hitop van! You already have the hard part done, a hole in the roof and a nice fiberglass top that fits the van!

This customer is coming back in on Thursday, so I will snap some pics then, but for now I made a basic diagram of how it works:

1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

cd0156
I get chills without my van.

Post by cd0156 »

1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

so did customer ever return... would like to see the pics
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

T.Low wrote:Pop tops are still available in Vancouver. Not cheap, and apparently can't get the T-Top, only the V-top (angled). (Gee, how do I know this...hmm)

Vancouver ... WA or BC?!

Hi and welcome to the board Moreforles!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

no real progress, just a little more thought, replaced the window in the sliding door (again), still waiting for a buddy to give me a hand, finding and changing the spider intake, get it running again, before I spend any time of effort on converting it from conversion van to mini (micro) motor home....

Think the awning from Thule would be nice option, but not sure rack system would work on the high top already on it... and still thinking if I want to attemp a mini slide out on the passenger side. Think it would be cool, but not sure it's in my skill level or one I expect to attain any time soon...

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

dunedog wrote:Image

If I could get Matt or Peter to find me one of these up in Quebec,it would be my choice.
They don't produce the top for the Astro/Safari size van anymore [-(
did they increase the size (full sized van or suv) or down sized to mini van size (dodge caravan, toyota, honda...)?