mini survival kit for kids

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

mini survival kit for kids

Post by astrozam »

My kids and I have been studying bushcraft skills lately and today my daughter maddy came up with a mini survival kit for kids (or anyone for that matter) that would provide the most basic need FIRE.

Fire provides many things,cooks meat,disinfects water,provides warmth and a sense of well being,keeps critters at bay,can be used to signal,etc

Here is what the kit is carried in a simple dolar store cell phone holder

Here is the Kit,a plastic aspirin bottle

The kit contains water and windproof matches,a striker,lint, and some cardboard,all were wrapped in plastic

There you have it,a simple and effective way of having the necessary items to start a fire for a total of $1.60
empty aspirin bottle = free
wind and waterproof matches 7 approx .50cents
striker cut from match pack=free
lint = free
little piece of saran wrap = basically free
little piece of foil (for starting fire on if ground is very wet,or for signalling)= basically free
cell phone holder = 1.00
small role of trail marking tape stored in bottom of cell phone case 20' about .10 cents worth

:D

dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: mini survival kit for kids

Post by dumb lady »

That's a fantastic idea!! Holy cow, what a SMART young lady you have there Zam!
(Nice picture documentary too)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

That is a great idea especially if the kids like to hike and explore.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
astrozam

Post by astrozam »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:That is a great idea especially if the kids like to hike and explore.
Precisely, thousands of children wander off on a simple exploration of their campsite or backyards,many become lost and frightened,most children are found relatively quickly,but some are not found for days.A simple fire starting kit could make the difference between a happy and a sad ending.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

That is definitely a wicked little kit. May I suggest adding a small mirror for signaling as well as some fishing line and possibly some hooks then you'd be ready to take on the woods like a green beret lol
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
astrozam

Post by astrozam »

potskie wrote:That is definitely a wicked little kit. May I suggest adding a small mirror for signaling as well as some fishing line and possibly some hooks then you'd be ready to take on the woods like a green beret lol
The mirror is a great idea,tho a little difficult to fit in the bottle with all the other stuff,so she came up with the idea of using some foil for the signalling.

I would like to help her try to get a couple water purifying tablets packed in there safely 1st,and if there is still some room then the fishing line/hooks/split shot may be added.

Thanks for the suggestions :supz:

scootermcb
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by scootermcb »

The problem with water purifying tabs is that once the bottle is opened, they deteriorate quickly. Purification tabs last approximately 3 months once exposed to air. They also aren't as good as other methods of purification. Chemical purification methods may only be partially effective, depending on the water temperature. Water should also be filtered somewhat before chemical purification. Besides, purification is unnecessary if you can boil the water.
It is possible to boil the water in a plastic bottle without melting it.
By carefully folding a large clear sheet of plastic and stuffing it in the bottle, a solar still (http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/ ... val-still/) can be made.
1989 Astro CS 4.3l 5 pass AM/FM 6CD player

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

We made simular kits in Boy Scouts years ago. We also added a quarter taped to the inside of the lid so you could make a call if you came across a pay phone. (shows how old I am as most kids have cel phones) Remember if you add a quarter to the kit to then pack the matches with the striker end down otherwise the edge of the quarter can light the matches when you go to unscrew the lid. I know it sounds stupid but this really did happen to one of the kids in my group it was funny as hell watching him yell and try and get the pack out of his pocket as he had been playing with the lid then put it away right as it went up. :yikes:
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

KIDS, Don't ya just love em? They're so smart. Just give them some freedom to express themselves. :bounce: Another small, cheap, and effective signaling device is a whistle. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle