Widow Screens.

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
greybeard
I am merely driving my van

Widow Screens.

Post by greybeard »

Has anyone found or made window screens for the side pop-out windows. looking for something to keep bugs out and for very short periods, my cat in.
I've seen the link posted before for "Skeeter Beaters" (is that right?) but it doesn't really say if they're for the front door windows or the side pop-outs... and no photos of Astros.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Widow Screens.

Post by Herbie »

I have the Skeeter Beaters for the front. Good product, easy to install and a good tight mesh that still lets air through.

They list a separate part number for "back/sides", but from the picture it might be for the rear doors, or for conversion vans? The upside is the dimensions are given on the diagram, so you could measure:
http://theskeeterbeater.com/product/arc ... oMIBd.dpbs
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
greybeard

Post by greybeard »

Thanx for the link. I went to the Skeeter Beater page... they don't make a screen to fit the side pop-out window. I called them and the lady I spoke to suggested the "Single Redwood" screen which is for sun-roofs. even it's too small. BUT, They do sell the magnets, and the screen by the yard and as it turns out, I could buy enough material from them to make screens for both side windows and it would be less expensive than buying their ready made screen.. so, maybe that's the way I'll go.

arlon
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by arlon »

I just used "no see em" screen I got from a camping supply place on eBay. Sold in a package with enough for me to do all the windows. I also found a nice piece of camo colored screen in the hunting dept of a local sporting goods store that was big enough to cover the back window. I just cut pieces of no see em for the side windows and used adhesive magnet strips from hobby lobby to attach them. Adhesive sticks to the screen, and then the magnet sticks the screen to the van. I have screens for front windows, side windows and back windows. They roll up and fit nicely in one of the side cubbies. Never had a bug problem and they have survived from pretty intense storms without blowing off. Side windows are also easy to close in the middle of the night without taking them off.
2004 AWD Astro 2" lift, overnight-able
2003 Dodge/Cummins Quad cab
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO
Plus wife's and kid's cars to take care of...

arlon
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by arlon »

Pics of the side screens I came up with. They have worked fine and pretty cheap using nylon "no see um" screen and self adhesive magnet strips. They just cover the whole window.

2004 AWD Astro 2" lift, overnight-able
2003 Dodge/Cummins Quad cab
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO
Plus wife's and kid's cars to take care of...

nonhog
I get chills without my van.

Post by nonhog »

arion, nice screen work! And how cool that you have an LX. Always searching CL for one.
Recovering hoarder