Can a 6'6" freak of nature sleep in the back of a Astro?

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Can a 6'6" freak of nature sleep in the back of a Astro?

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Captn, I grew up in NJ, very familiar with the "tri-state" area, I feel your pain. Come on out to Washington, we still have room for a few more, and there are still some amazing places they will let us serfs go, although they are steadily shutting down more and more areas. Get here before its all gone. Unless you hate rain and gloom like I do, then it kind of sucks for 9 months of the year.
[/quote]
If I relocate it will probly be the southwest but if I ever make it out there I will let you know I'm on my way
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
F451
I am merely driving my van

Post by F451 »

Herbie wrote:
F451 wrote: I searched for the dimensions of the Gen 2 Astros and could not find the dimensions of the cargo area.

Can anyone tell me the rough dimensions from say the back of the drivers seat to the rear doors?
Here's my favorite resource for all great Astro measurement data
Bingo! "Rear door to front seat bracket: 247cm / 97.2 inches". Plenty of room!

Look at all this sports space! Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS90l4L2t6k

Thanks man.

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

Captn. Crunch wrote:But in all reality, the Astro AWD would probably be a better fit and a no hassle purchase vs importing a 25 yr old Japan market car. But I do love the idea of a little diesel 4x4 van that can be configured like a transformer.

These things are eight passenger S-10's. The parts swap possibilities are endless and easy. We'll be here if you lean this way
Agreed, the Astro AWD is the way to go, the Delica is an emotional thing, I just like them.

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

Captn. Crunch wrote:If I relocate it will probly be the southwest but if I ever make it out there I will let you know I'm on my way
Right on, lots to see and do. -Ed

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

If you ever get up to Bellingham, you're welcome to check out my van.

ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

F451 wrote: Unless you hate rain and gloom like I do, then it kind of sucks for 9 months of the year.
That's because you live on the wrong side of the Cascades! Come over to the eastern side and you can enjoy a lot more sunshine! :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

T.Low wrote:If you ever get up to Bellingham, you're welcome to check out my van.

Hey T, thanks for the note! I've run across your awesome build on a couple of sites and have been studying it, among others. I love the pop-top addition. Way beyond my scope, but great to see and learn how it can be done, as well as seeing all the other cool mods you've done. So many awesome builds out there that have been so well thought out and documented.

And thank you for the invite to check out your rig, I just may take you up on that as I have family in Van, BC, so go up there from time to time (and get major Delica diesel 4x4 envy every time I go!).

And I did not know about Das Auto, thanks! I'm not into the 4x4 scene, so just starting to learn (more into dirt bikes and sports cars). Just checked out his website, he is right next to my go-to bike shop, I am over that way all the time, will definitely be stopping by to check his place out. And that is especially good (or bad $$$) that he is into Astros. Great if I need help, bad if I want to keep my wallet intact. I wonder if he needs any part time help, ha ha...

And looking at Astros for sale, I'm wondering if I've missed the curve on this whole scene, not much in the way of low mileage ones, makes sense given their age. I am seeing some with blown engines (head gaskets) and a reman or junk yard engine would be easy enough to source. Would rather not buy a "project" before I start my project though, if you know what I mean. Then again I just started looking, but I am an impatient bastard once I make a decision, so trying to contain my excitement and sit tight, I know the right rig will come along at the right time for me. Meanwhile I feel like the whole world is running around with their Astros and I'm missing out. Lol. -Ed

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

mdmead wrote:
F451 wrote: Unless you hate rain and gloom like I do, then it kind of sucks for 9 months of the year.
That's because you live on the wrong side of the Cascades! Come over to the eastern side and you can enjoy a lot more sunshine! :muhaha:
Tell me about it my man! Ha ha...

I do get over that way whenever I can for dirt bike stuff, Starvation Ridge, Juniper Dunes, Dez 100, and of course all the dirt bike riding on the east side of the Cascades (Lake Wenatchee, Cle Elem, Naches, etc), although not as much as I used to. Lots more I need to explore out there for sure.

And that's why I need a dedicated motovan, so I can get out more and do more moto stuff before I am too old and feeble! (55 yrs old soon and feeling every day of it along with a bunch of relatively minor health issues that are slowing me down big time - oversharing - I know!)

Me at one of the 24 hr races at Starvation Ridge some time ago, love it out there!

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

Herbie wrote:
Here's my favorite resource for all great Astro measurement data
Wow, that is an absolutely awesome resource! Thanks.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Welcome to this forum!
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

Stroverlander wrote:Welcome to this forum!
Ha ha...thanks Strover! Seems like a great bunch of folks over here. -Ed

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Yup nothing but help here. No sanctamonious overlords spewing their poisonous brand of online justice
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Tegnus

Post by Tegnus »

F451 wrote:Hey guys,

Can a 6'6" freak of nature sleep in the back of a Astro comfortably?

I searched for the dimensions of the Gen 2 Astros and could not find the dimensions of the cargo area.
Yes, you should be able. We have 81 inch long bed in our Astrid and still enough space for 20L water tank between bed and front seats

Great blog post on dimensions: http://www.morehawes.co.uk/camper-conve ... conversion
2004 Astro AWD, 90k miles, 2" Lift, 225/75R16 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Tru-Cool LPD-4490 Trans cooler

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

F451 wrote:Then I found a Mitsu Delica 4x4 diesel for sale just over the border, and its going to be 25 yrs old soon, so would be easily imported, and at a great price (they go for a premium in Canada).

If I get a response from the owner I'm going to have to go up there and check it out.

Things just got real! Ha ha....

But in all reality, the Astro AWD would probably be a better fit and a no hassle purchase vs importing a 25 yr old Japan market car. But I do love the idea of a little diesel 4x4 van that can be configured like a transformer.

Any more on this?

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

Tegnus wrote:
F451 wrote:Hey guys,

Can a 6'6" freak of nature sleep in the back of a Astro comfortably?

I searched for the dimensions of the Gen 2 Astros and could not find the dimensions of the cargo area.
Yes, you should be able. We have 81 inch long bed in our Astrid and still enough space for 20L water tank between bed and front seats

Great blog post on dimensions: http://www.morehawes.co.uk/camper-conve ... conversion
Thanks Tegnus!