Backwards move....computer problems

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Backwards move....computer problems

Post by 1Gary »

Well my windows XP took a dive.Thermo shutdown.So I'm back on with my back-up puter 95.No video,no pictures,true meaning of freeze frame.I will not buy from a private person.So I have to find the time to take the XP back to the company I bought it from.I trust them and they do have a great service.Not sure if they can fix this XP.I sure don't want to have to buy another computer at this point. #-o [-( :cry:
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Backwards move....computer problems

Post by mdmead »

I loved my XP machine, but XPs' days are gone. Find yourself a machine with 7. (My 7 machine was nearly as good as my XP machine. (Not so thrilled with my current 8, but don't know how much of it 8 or the actual ASUS laptop computer.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Microsoft no longer supports XP, meaning that anything new on the web (in terms of software that all the sites you visit use) won't work with XP.
Imagine converting your carbed engine to TBI, can be done but needs a few band aids,
Well, Microsoft ain't selling band aids anymore and the cost to have one made is greater than shelling out for win 7.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Yep.That's what I have been reading too.That the windows 8 isn't that good and the 7 is the one to get.I won't buy from a private seller.I want to go back to the company I bought the XP from.Thing is this it is ill timed.I want to spend the money on parts for my projects.I am hoping the Microworx can save the file of yrs and yrs of bookmarks I have on the XP [-o< .I never learned how to save that file. #-o The XP will fire up,but then it come up with a msg that it shut down because of a thermo shut down and shuts back down. :cry:
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Blue screen from overheating is generally an easy fix,
1. unplug the machine,
2. clean out the dust bunnies w/ compressed air,
3. clean off and replace the thermal paste on the chip,
4. w/ the case open plug it in, switch it on and see that all the fans are running.

If over temp is the problem that's it Gary, 10 min job. Geek squad will get you 100 bux and do there best to sell you a new compy.

Personally I wouldn't mess with a PC that dated for every day use. Apply the 100 saved to the cost of a cheap notebook, pull the hard drive from your XP machine and use an adaptor to pull the information you want from it, done deal.

I just did a quick search and came up with this for best price on refurbs with win7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... sdeptsrh=1
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

been playing with PC's for 10-15 years now. Beyond basic stuff I don't even bother with trying to fix them much anymore. When the Computer has hardware or software issues I cant fix easily I head down to the local computer store and look for a factory off-lease or re-furb PC. Last 3 I bought were $100 - $150 ea. Name brand stuff ( dell or HP are what I look for ). Typically they are Pentium Dual Core, 3.0 ghz, 2 gig ram, 100gb HD and come pre-loaded with Windows 7. Heres the link to TigerDirect. I know they likely don't have presence in the US but you get the idea of whats out there and the cost.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... 0Computers

I also have an "external" hard drive that I use when a PC goes Belly - up. You just remove the HD from the dead PC and put it in the external box. The external box connects to another PC using the USB cord. Then you can pull all your info off the old Hard Drive without having to mess with the Operating System or hardware issues of the old computer just to take your stuff off. Then once you pull your info off you can re-format the old harddrive use it for "extra" storage space to back up your photos, videos, whatever.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... =M501-1031

Good luck !! XP was a great great platform but its got too many patches on patches to keep it working as long as it did. Time for the move to windows 7 !! ( do yourself a favour and skip vista and 8 )