Ebay/Paypal complaints

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Ebay/Paypal complaints

Post by markmitchinnh »

I have not used either paypal or ebay in 6 or more months and I went there today to try and find a part for my laptop. I found what I wanted and attempted to buy it. This is what happened:

First I noticed that the only way to pay now is through paypal? Why ?
secondly when I tried to use my paypal account they would not allow me to do it because it was outdated? I followed there direction to update and they still would not let me ? SO I figured I would simply set up a new account and they would again not let me? Why this is happening is beyond me so Basically ebay/paypal has lost any and all of my business. ALso since they have no email to send complaints that tells me something is definitely crooked about the whole deal. Besides that every time I have attempted to bid on an item it automatically said I was out bid which means someone is using a program to auto bid which should be illegal in my opinion.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Ebay/Paypal complaints

Post by astroturf »

Bull...

Get on the phone and call them.

I have found their service to be the next best thing to sliced bread!

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I'm thinking it is all on your end. I have no problems. Including contacting them. And Paypal is not the only thing you can use to pay. It is up to the seller and what THEY prefer. Ebay and Paypal have made my life much easier. Dare I say it has enhanced my life?
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

It's called proxy bidding and it's how eBay auctions work.

Paypal is a pain the rear sometimes, but overall I'm glad such a service exists.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I apologize I needed a part to repair my laptop and found the one part on ebay after 4 hours of searching I was angry and the problems with pay pal just angered me even more. as for proxy bidding I still feel it should be illegal simply because it is unfair and therefore they can keep the item cause I won't buy from there again. As for pay pal I'm not interested in ever using it again either. A few years ago I bought many things for my projects from ebay and there was no proxy bidding and I enjoyed myself, I understand things change but to me its a bad change and they can have it. Again I do apologize for allowing anger to get the best of me and for displaying it on this forum.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Somebody bid more money than you and therefore won the item. Why should that be illegal? eBay has always used proxy bidding.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/proxy-bidding.html
http://reviews.ebay.com/Finally-Underst ... 0002634767

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Proxy bidding is how I try to get stuff cheaper than my max bid? I am confused as to why it should be illegal. A lot of times the seller has a "buy it now" button so you know exactly what you pay. Many other times you just have to pay more than the other guy/gal.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

OK maybe I failed to explain? the price was at 25.00 I bid 26 it automatically went to 27 I went to 28 it automatically went to 29 that is automatically out bidding me with no human involved and is therefore unfair in my book. Unless ebay gives out this program to all buyers as well and I don't believe they do. Now it may be possible that the seller has a lowest price he will accept for the item and this is what I was dealing with, that is fine and he has a right to do so. Again I was having a bad day and I apologize for my anger.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I use http://www.gixen.com. Try it, (it's free), you'll like it. Auctions come down to 'what are you willing to spend?' Look at the item, figure your max bid, enter it in Gixen and be done with it. No more waiting by the computer as the auction closes, trying to outbid someone (who is probably using a sniping service anyway).
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

markmitchinnh wrote:OK maybe I failed to explain? the price was at 25.00 I bid 26 it automatically went to 27 I went to 28 it automatically went to 29 that is automatically out bidding me with no human involved and is therefore unfair in my book. Unless ebay gives out this program to all buyers as well and I don't believe they do. Now it may be possible that the seller has a lowest price he will accept for the item and this is what I was dealing with, that is fine and he has a right to do so. Again I was having a bad day and I apologize for my anger.
Ebay does give it out. It's called "enter your maximum bid". You will automatically bid the minimum amount until you reach your max bid or win. One or the other. If you don't like it, don't bid. Most of my purchases are Buy it Now.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Sounds like you didn't read the rules. Bids are kept secret. You're supposed to enter the maximum amount of money you're willing to pay.

What you describe is totally human with no programs, sniping, services or sitting at the computer necessary. That person could have bid $40.

It's pretty worry free. Just bid and forget.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Yup, Nothing weird or bad about entering your max bid on ebay.
Before you complain to bitterly, you could read how to use Ebay.

It bumps up the bid amount because someone has 'already' out bid you.
Enter your own "Max Bid" price, or keep bidding untill you either get a bid in 'above' the current max bid, or decide its too rich for your blood and stop bidding.
Nothing new there, Ebay was always like this as far as I know...

I love Paypal.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.