Awesome 4x4 & enduro expedition read

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Awesome 4x4 & enduro expedition read

Post by T.Low »

With the off roaders and motorcyclists and the people that appreciate a good adventure story we have here on ASV, I thought some of you might enjoy this thread that I've been following on AdventureRider. It's an expedition across the island of Borneo, basically thru jungle trails trying to stay as close the actual equator as possible.

DEAN, you may as well skip straight to page 5 of the RR! :cheers:

One aspect that makes for such good adventure reading is that many of the old bridges have been washed away so the winches really get a good work out.

Its an awesome thread written by one of the 5 enduro riders on the trip. I can't believe that i can't find any other info about the trip on the internet, especially with the large amount of 4x4s that went. Some of the trucks look so cool I wanted to find out more information about them but couldn't.

I like the fact that the thread author is so candid, and the fact that they are not nearly as prepared for such a huge expedition as you'd think they'd be. Like one of the riders all of the sudden realizes that yet again, he has lost his gear bags off his bike somehow and has to turn around to go find it.

I would love to ride a trip like this on my bike with my own support vehicle, like this Pinzgauer maybe: just add a finished Westy style interior and of course a pop top. I'm afraid the AstroLander just might be in over it's head on this one. :-s http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/images/copperk.jpg

Hope you guys like this thread 1/2 as much as I do. Starts with some ceremonys and BS but picks up real well. Lots of 4x4 action around page 5 and after. If anybody is interested and finds more info on the net about, please post links.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585918
Last edited by T.Low on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
T.Low

Re: Awesome 4x4 & enduro expedition read

Post by T.Low »

Oh, the author says his "Rekluse" and ahndlebar mounted rear brake lever were indespensible for one crossing in particular. For those of you who do not know, a "Rekluse" is a very sophisticated aftermarket automatic clutch for an enduro motorcycle. It keeps the bike from stalling on wierd hillclimbs; it helps with compression braking during steep descents; it allows you to reroute the brake cable to a handle bar lever where the clutch lever used to be so you can brake with your hands during those circumstances when you really need both feet on the ground.

My brother in law installed one on his Husaberg and loves it.
ImageImageImageImage

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

Rocke put one on his 450x and loves it. Just drop the bike in gear and go. It is also handy when you need to push up a hill or out of a mud hole as you don't need to work the clutch.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Thanks Tom,....great stuff,...ahh unfortunately I am now an hour and a half behind on everything I was suppose to be doing today and only got to page 9..... :yawinkle: !!!!
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

PG 16, :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Fantastic story and incredible pics, especially under the circumstances. The one thing that does make me wonder about people is why the Author keeps getting left behind by his co-riders, seems that in a place like that they would all make sure to stick together to ensure their own safety. That expedition leader Sam is insane...lol but he sure does look after everybody. Great find Tom :supz:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Indiana Jones got nothing on these guys. What an incredible adventure. This is one of those stories that hooks you. You can't stop reading. Thanks for the link, Tom. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I love wheeling....but THAT is insane! :yikes: If it was a decent temperature I would be interested. Something about 100 degree days with 95% humidity will keep me from it.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Now that's an adventure.

He talks about video throughout the thread, which would tell much more than the photos, but I didn't see any posted. Did you find any?

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Tom ... if you could would you fly over and do this?
Three months ago I subscribed to a TV station in Philippines to watch all their 4x4 stuff. I have forwarded this link to my co-worker who is from Indonesia and claims you can do this for quite cheap!?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Honestly, I would if my "fix everything" brother in law rode a long and I had three months to train.

If we're gonna dream about it, then like I said up above, it would be awesome if my wife could follow along in a custom pop top Pinzguaer so I could have good sleeping, cold beer, and a shower at then end of each day... :muhaha:

That's the way I'd like to roll.

http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/images/copperk.jpg
ImageImageImageImage

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Looks clean to me! What is in the back behind the cage?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"