Engine heaters in winter?

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
slow buick
I am merely driving my van

Engine heaters in winter?

Post by slow buick »

Thought I'd put this right up top as to garner more attention.

Who here has experience with heating the engine on their A/S?

Looking specifically at Kat's hose heaters for the lower hose, battery heater jacket and possibly an oil pan immersed heater.

I'm afraid an oil heater may burn the oil though?
1999 Chevrolet Astro LS 2WD - Daily - Junkyard GT4 / Billet Dizzy / MPFI upgrade / Stereo stuff
2003 Buick Park Avenue Ultra - Perpetually broken project - "cam only"

Owner - Great Lakes Auto Enthusiasts - Vivid Reflections Auto Salon

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Engine heaters in winter?

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I've never seen the need. I live in New England and have seen plenty of bitter cold winter temps. My experience has been that as long as your battery is in good shape and you are computer controlled fuel injected. Modified or carbourated may cause issues but with a good battery, my 99 starts after two seconds of crank time-max no matter how cold.
If you want to go the heater route, there are block heaters, oil pan heaters, battery blankets the list goes on and on. Nothing designed as a heater is going to burn your oil unless it shorts out. Go on line and look around there's tons of choices.
I have a 50 watt self adhering heating pad stuck to the underside of the oil tank of my 76 Harley Super Glide. Very nice on those chilly mornings when the straight weight 60 is warmed up to 130 on a kick start only bike!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

dvil

Re: Engine heaters in winter?

Post by dvil »

I mean the most effective one sits directly in the block, heating the water. They mount on the left side, where a coreplug normally sits. Quite common here in Norway, and are normally at 500-600 Watt. I believe a block heater could be ordered as original equipment?
Another great, but somewhat expensive, solution are the fuel burners - Webasto or Eberspacher. They are at 2000-5000 watt.
1989 parts car
1989 V8 TPI project
1993 AWD parts car
1995 AWD W-engine G80 diff daily driver. For sale
2004 LT AWD LPG