hey guys help me out here

Major projects, rebuilds and overhauls covering multiple areas

Topic author
k120189
I finally get the smurf thing

hey guys help me out here

Post by k120189 »

...hows this look for my first bite into modding the van?

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Looks like a good bunch of work for you! The only thing I would recommend changing is the tranny cooler. The stacked plate style are about 30% more efficient. I recommend a Long True cool LPD4590. This will drop tranny temps around 40 degrees.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Project time! and like Dean previously mentioned the stacked plate style works more efficiently and stands up to road debris better, hope you have a digicam, cause I smell some PICS.

I've had mine on now for 4-5 yrs and it still looks in great shape

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Theres a set of 2" drop spindles on ebay for $180.00
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
k120189

Post by k120189 »

well its gonna take a few weeks to get the cash i just started senior year of high school and im starting a new job soon...but as i get the money the van will get parts...i think the drop is the last thing to go in...after all that i save for a shift kit and a v8.

...gone =(...

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I'm going to break ranks with my brethren here and give a thumbs up to your transmission cooler selection. The one listed above is very similar to the one I have installed in my 89 and it does a very good job for the money. I rarely see trans temperatures above 175F even in the hottest weather we've had (but I also have a deep transmission pan installed that adds 3 extra quarts of ATF. I'm sure that also helps to keep the temps down).
One suggestion: I'd recommend that you look into a way of adding the transmission cooler without attaching the cooler directly to the van's radiator core via the supplied plastic ties. I can see where road vibration could cause the cooler to rub against the radiator fins and cause damage. I built a frame out of aluminum angle that the cooler attaches to; there is no contact between the cooler and the radiator. But I don't have the A/C condenser on the van anymore, so there's room for the cooler frame that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Now, concerning the tach. I see that its scale goes up to 11,000 RPM and that it reads in odd increments. I'd suggest getting a tach that reads no higher than 8000 RPM--this type of scale spaces out the lower RPM markings and makes it easier to read at a glance. It's the lower RPM readings that your van's engine will be at. My van also has the 3.23 ratio rear and the engine turns 1700 RPM at 60 MPH; it's rare to see a tach reading of 4000 or higher unless I'm really beating on it. Even then I've never had the engine turning at 6000 or higher; things just sound way too busy for me at an RPM like that.
But finding a 2 1/16" tach with these specs isn't easy. I ended up with an Autometer 2 1/16" Artic White tach--it reads 0-7000 RPM, but it cost about 3 times what the tach you listed does.
Don't get me wrong, the Summit tach will work fine for you, I'm sure. But there will be a lot of unused gauge that'll restrict the space of the used area.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Good prices on the DJM stuff. Same ones I have I think I paid a little bit more at godfathercustoms.com .

Where is that site you're buying from?
Krispy: '90 Astro Cargo Shorty ----------------------Newest Addition: Kremey: Stock '99 Astro LS 8 Passenger, New CD/MP3 w/ 10" Woofer
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

ImageImageImageImage Krispy&Kremey

Topic author
k120189

Post by k120189 »

thats summit racing....the kit is in two parts the flip kit and then the 2 in drop spindles....they have the drop springs too, and yea its cheaper there in two peices then it is in most places together

...gone =(...