2005 lowering spindles?

Major projects, rebuilds and overhauls covering multiple areas

Topic author
SPL Astro
I am merely driving my van

2005 lowering spindles?

Post by SPL Astro »

Next spring I'm planning to drop my 05 Astro. Looking around for things now so I'm ready to go when the time comes. Anyone have any experience lowering an 05? I can't find any lowering spindles for an 05, but plenty for Astro's up to a 2004. Curious if an 04 and 05 lowering spindle is the same or not. I checked Ebay for regular spindles and from 03-05 they are the same, but nobody has any for lowering in 2005. Not sure if this was due to some kind of clearance issues the 05 might have that an 03-04 doesn't. When it's done it'll laying body so I wanna make sure things are gonna fit.
2005 Astro Cargo style - Body drop planned
Two DC Audio 18" XL's, Atomic 5k, 154.6 db's so far.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 2005 lowering spindles?

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

There would be no difference between an 03 and 05. Everything is exactly the same so if you can find parts for the 03, they'll fit the 05. Just make sure the parts listed for an 03 are not the same as the 02 parts as they may not interchange.

Just to be clear, the 03 - 05's do not use a standard spindle. They use unit bearings bolted to the knuckle so you would need to get lowering knuckles.

AWD hub bearing:

RWD hub bearing:

Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
SPL Astro

Post by SPL Astro »

I was looking through websites for lowering spindles and for what was listed they all looked like a normal spindle. I haven't had to pull hub off the front yet so I haven't really looked at it. I'll have to look around and see if I can find listings for a lowering knuckle instead. Thanks
2005 Astro Cargo style - Body drop planned
Two DC Audio 18" XL's, Atomic 5k, 154.6 db's so far.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

So .... Dean , you've researched this .... dropping the 05 ???? cuz i'm seriously thinking about it . any sites or links you can point me to . this won't happen till next winter , so i have time to get the info & gather parts .

The only thing i'm finding with a quick search is lowering springs for the front . would the springs & tortion bars be enough to lower it in front , or would the ride be comprimised ???
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I only researched the hub bearings.

To lower the 05 AWD, you can drop the front with the torsion bars. I actually had raised the front about 1" after I got it. The rear can be done with lowering leaf springs or an axle flip where you move the springs to the bottom. You may need lifting shackles to get the correct height you want or need. I would imagine there are others with AWD's who have lowered their vans. Any AWD lowering info applies to any of the AWD's that have steel leafs.

How is the van running?
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

she runs like a dream !!! had to do the rear brakes .... but you said they might need it . no biggie :)
i sold my 95 to my kid cuz his jeep died & they have a newborn 3 months old & i couldn't see them going with no vehicle for long with the baby .... so in the spring i'll buy Deb a new vehicle & i'll confiscate the 05 from her :D
already lookin at new wheels & tires .... american racing has a nice tork thrust in 17" that'll bolt right up . \:D/
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

skippy wrote:so in the spring i'll buy Deb a new vehicle & i'll confiscate the 05 from her :D
already lookin at new wheels & tires .... american racing has a nice tork thrust in 17" that'll bolt right up . \:D/
LOL She's not gonna like that! Glad it's running great. You are going to love the AWD when the snow comes! I bet it will look awesome with those wheels.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned: