Shavin my 97 Astro Cargo Van.

Major projects, rebuilds and overhauls covering multiple areas

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Re: Shavin my 97 Astro Cargo Van.

Post by SafariRoadster »

Some updated pics. Its been pretty hot today so I figured it'd be a good day to paint some more. So heres the pics. I'll throw in a few pics of my 96 Honda Accord with a custom wide body kit I installed. I painted it the same way and the same color.

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

Started painting the front bumper cover. Still gotta paint the grill. It going to be black.

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

Got the grille painted gloss black. I like how it looks. I broke the center chevy logo when I tried to get it out to paint the grille. Also I've decided to add something major to this build. After reading up on another guy doing the same thing I thought it sounded pretty cool. I'm going to add a hightop to my cargo van. I called a local salvage yard and he said they had a couple astros there with the hightops on them. He said $75.00 for the roof. Sounds like a good deal to me.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

wow.. great pics!!

so do you have the walkthru of the rustoleum paintjob. i've seen others on the net, just wondering if you do yours any differently?

great glass work btw too. it amazes me. i tried it once and ended up a little high from the fumes and strands of glass stuck to everything.. my arms, legs, shoes, hat.. and some on the car 8-[

the cargo with the raised roof should look cool
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

crash wrote:wow.. great pics!!

so do you have the walkthru of the rustoleum paintjob. i've seen others on the net, just wondering if you do yours any differently?

great glass work btw too. it amazes me. i tried it once and ended up a little high from the fumes and strands of glass stuck to everything.. my arms, legs, shoes, hat.. and some on the car 8-[

the cargo with the raised roof should look cool
I've posted all the pics I got of the paint job. I have a pretty good write up on the paint job I did on my accord on gen5alive.com.
Heres the link to that one.http://www.gen5alive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13499

The fiberglass work took a little time to figure out. Main suggestion is wear latex throw away gloves. Get a box of about a 100 pair for $7 at Harbor Freight.

The reason I'm thinkin about going with the raised roof is for my daughter. The reason I got an astro cargo van is my daughter is real sensitive to light. So with no windows on the side its no problem for her. Now with the raised roof I can install a tv and whatnot for long trips.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Great pictures, link and write up, I`m following along ..... :supz:
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

Heres the newest pics of it. Just got it legal yesterday with insurance, plates, registration.
Got the roof painted and got a new drivers side fender extension piece. The old one was broke half way down. Also went back to factory mirrors. The smaller ones I made were just too small and driving a cargo van you have enough blind spots to worry about.
And this is what I'm thinking about doing to the side of the van. I want to paint the area where the windows normally are to make it look like a passenger van.

draggnastro
I am smitten with my van

Post by draggnastro »

i cant see any of the pics.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Yeah we Love to see the pics... > so why did you all delete them ?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc