Got an Idea, Maybe.....

Major projects, rebuilds and overhauls covering multiple areas

Topic author
scotter
I am merely driving my van

Got an Idea, Maybe.....

Post by scotter »

Ok I have an 88 shorty, I was thinking of fixing up but it's trashed and I mean trashed. To make matters worse the two tone gold/tan is hidious. I had been thinking of hotrodding it but the amount of work to get it right would be insane. it would be easier to start with another van. I've had so many issues with the van over the last couple months I have more than once considered driving it down to the scrap yard and handing over the keys, but it has a brand new trans and brand new tires and it starts every time, so it is still welcome in the driveway as far as my wife is concerned (she drives it most of the time)

I am going to find a replacement for it later this year for sure and when I do I will need to decide what to do with this little monster. My son is a HAM radio operator and I will be taking the test this month myself. He thinks it would be a good vehicle to turn into a radio van for radio camping.

So..... I am thinking V8 4x4 and doing a cutaway box van type of setup with a couple bunks in the back and a generator. a couple captains chairs and racking for all the equipment. basically a complete mobile HAM radio shack- the roof deck would be strong enough to walk on and we would be able to stow all the antenna gear topside and possible even mount a 40' crank up mast on the rig.

I know the astro is a unibody and there are better vehicles suited to this sort of setup but I have a hard time throwing stuff away and it would be real nice and compact. I have plenty of experiance fabricating and have the skills and tools to pull it off.

Any thoughts ? sometimes I need a reality check

astrosafari
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Got an Idea, Maybe.....

Post by astrosafari »

that sounds awesome imo... but it is quite the task.
i think its a good idea because what other use would you have with it? and if it doesn't work out, then the vehicle wasn't much of a loss..
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater

Topic author
scotter

Post by scotter »

I'm thinking something like this , perhaps in olive drab kind of like an old military field radio truck -

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Four yrs ago I came onto the old site because of a interest I had in a ebay 10' box van that is a Astro.It seems a company built them and added GT badges to the side of them.The box was a fiberglass one and had barn doors on the rear.As it turned out the seller and I couldn't work out a deal.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

To convert your 88 2WD to a 4x4 will require the use of either an AWD subframe with front diff, 4x4 transmission and transfer case or using a solid axle, 4x4 transmission and transfer case. Cutting away the van back body and building something different would be a LOT of work but not unreasonable. Just look here for anything about JinmaJay's Tran Project. He cut the back portion off to make a truck/van.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

The box vans I posted about was/are vans sold to a truck fleet outfitter when new and where not a kit.The cab/frame/power train was sold and the outfitter built the box on them.I totally agree with Lifted.It would be alot of work and not for most backyard mods.The only other thing is I found two of them up in New England area which leads me to believe they where built by a outfitter up there.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

All projects are cool, some (like this) one may pose certain difficulties like Lifted mentioned, but providing you either have the skills or access to someone who does then I don't see why you can't make this happen, you will certainly get all the info you need from us , so when the time is right for you,get er done. Just remember, WE LOVE PICS plus it makes giving suggestions much easier when the members can actually see what you are doing. The military paintjob would look cool with this set-up.

p.s, I have never heard the term radio camping, can you explain a little for me/us, thanks. :cheers:

Topic author
scotter

Post by scotter »

Well I have the tools and the skill set to complete, time and money are another thing all together....

Radio camping is an activity were you go to a remote location and attempt to make contact with other operators. Sometimes for for just the challenge and sometimes as part of a contesting event. Different atmospheric conditions and line of sight conditions offer a varity of oprtunities for signal propigation. Much like bird watching, fishing, or traditional camping it is an oprutunity to get out and enjoy the enviroment.

As for pictures, here is one of my truck I'm building, it's a 1981 Ford Courier chopped 6+ inches and sectioned 6 inches. doors are only 24" high, this is my little hotrod pickup and it's getting Jag suspension and a Chrysler 383.

The second picture is a photoshop of my daughters 72 courier we just moved into the shop - its getting an extended cab and a 302 with a 3 inch lift.

ImageImage

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

You gotta like a ratrod, but quite the plethera of nameplates involved there, Jag, Chrysler, Ford/Mazda.
Hhhuuummm; don't see any "Cheby" stuff though.
Moderators!!!.....Where's the Moderators. :axe:

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Are you looking to scratch build the box or transplant one from another GM van??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
scotter

Post by scotter »

I would scratch build the box for sure.

I forgot to mention that the steering column in my truck is tilt unit from a 92 gm pickup - seriously it is :whistle:

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

scotter wrote:Well I have the tools and the skill set to complete, time and money are another thing all together....

Radio camping is an activity were you go to a remote location and attempt to make contact with other operators. Sometimes for for just the challenge and sometimes as part of a contesting event. Different atmospheric conditions and line of sight conditions offer a varity of oprtunities for signal propigation. Much like bird watching, fishing, or traditional camping it is an oprutunity to get out and enjoy the enviroment.
Cool, thanks for the explanation... :cheers:

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

Hey Scotter, kool idea, don't forget post pics of any progress. Bubathegimp is a Ham radio fanatic, sure he will be along soon to join in....Johnny

Topic author
scotter

Post by scotter »

O.K. here's my Astro van, the picture really dosen't show just how bad a shpe it is in but yes that is gorrilla tape holding the turn signals in right now.

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Well that does'nt "look" that bad. What the big issue with it.