Big Blue Update, Rims, Tires, Drop...

Major projects, rebuilds and overhauls covering multiple areas

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Big Blue Update, Rims, Tires, Drop...

Post by meetthespeakers »

Well I worked a lot of overtime last week, and the boss is out of town this week. So that means lots of goodies coming to the office this week. I love it when it feels like xmas in the spring. Anyway, when the new goodies arrive this week and I have time to install them I'll get some pictures up, hopefully some before and afters. Here's the list, I will get pics up as soon as I can: :rolleyes:

1. Safari Grill Swap, Billet Insert, and painted black (Installed)
2. 18x7 American Racing Torqlite's gray w/ 235/50/18 bfg g-force tires (Installed)
3. Belltech Rear Swaybar (BEL5528)
4. Ground Force Rear H.P. Gas Drop Shocks (Arrived)
5. Ground Force 2.5" Drop Leaf Springs (Arrived)
6. APC Super Sport Side Mirrors (Installed)
7. Volant Cold Air Intake (Installed)
8. New Rear Drums, painted black (Installed)
9. VHT Night Shade to tint taillights (Installed)
10. Red Caliper Paint for fronts (Arrived)

BEFORE
-BEFORE Stock Grill painted black, Boyd Cod Rims
AFTER
-AFTER Safari Grill, A.R. Torqlite Rims
-Safari Grill Swap, Billet Insert, Painted Grill Surround, APC Super Sport Mirrors, Shorty Antenna
-APC Super Sport Mirrors Manual (They are a little smaller than stock, blue tinted glass)
-New American Racing Torqlites Rims

MORE PICTURES ON SECOND PAGE :partyman: .
Last edited by meetthespeakers on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Big Blue Update, Rims, Tires, Drop...

Post by T.Low »

Interested in the red brake caliper paint. Let me know how much prep you do and if the stuff really works. I can't help it, I really like the idea of red calipers on my van and on Fiancee's Murano. Both our vehicles are pewter, and I think it would be a great detail with a touch of red calipoer to match the tail lights. :D She's got the factory 18" five spokes, and I wonder if you'd even be able to see the calipers on my 16".
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I'll def get pics up when I can, at the latest this weekend, but wed the rims come in, so I will most likely do it then. Going to paint the drums black as wheel. I am not so great at prep work, I usually just wash it with soap and water, unless I need to use a wire brush on it. LoL. :-$

REVIEWS OF PRODUCTS:
1. Safari Grill Swap, and Billet Insert: The Safari grill was cheap, and it's not a bad product, however there were a few small imperfections near the headlights. The Billet Grill Insert is a quality piece that replaces the stock one, cut out the old and insert the new one with a few bolts. So far I like the look, it's simpler and cleaner.

2. 18x7 American Racing Torqlite's gray w/ 235/50/18 bfg g-force tires:

3. Belltech Rear Swaybar (BEL5528):

4. Ground Force Rear H.P. Gas Drop Shocks:

5. Ground Force 2.5" Drop Leaf Springs:

6. APC Super Sport Side Mirrors: I was a little nervous buying cheap mirrors, but they actually turned out to be a pretty nice product. How can you really mess up Manual Mirrors? They are a little smaller in width than stock (1-2"), but in return they are a little taller. The mirror has a slight blue tint to them as well. The Super Sport Mirrors are 30% larger than other aftermarket mirrors (They were designed for trucks).

7. Volant Cold Air Intake:

8. New Rear Drums:

9. VHT Night Shade Tint and LED Taillights: I wanted a different look for the rear taillights, I liked the verticalness of the piece (LED arrangement). Easy to install, and actually a quality piece. I ordered the Smoked Led Taillights since I didn't like chrome. However the "smoke" still wasn't dark enough for me. That's where VHT came in, tinted them with 2 coats, followed by a clear coat. Still extremely bright to see even during the day, and the LED's have almost no power consumption.

10. Red Caliper Paint for fronts:

Last edited by meetthespeakers on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Looking forward to the pics. It's gonna be awesome! :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

Those are some nice mods. What are you doing with your old Boyd Cod wheels? What type of smoked clear coat paint did you use to tint your signal lenses. I want to try tinting some lenses that I have to see how it looks. Are you just going to loosen off the torsion bars to drop the front?
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Sold the Boyd's last weekend finally. Partly the funding for the new rims. The smoked spray is VHT night shade. As far as lowering the front, I am hoping I can lower it a hair more with the torsion bars, thats why I got the least amount of drop. To my calculations the rear will sit 1/4 lower than the front with the 2.5" drop without any adjustments.

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Wow, I really dig the mirrors and the seats! Nice upgrades!
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Interested in the red brake caliper paint. Let me know how much prep you do and if the stuff really works. I can't help it, I really like the idea of red calipers on my van and on Fiancee's Murano. Both our vehicles are pewter, and I think it would be a great detail with a touch of red calipoer to match the tail lights. She's got the factory 18" five spokes, and I wonder if you'd even be able to see the calipers on my 16".
I tried the VHT yellow caliper paint and wasn't to impressed with it. Seemed to be thin and transparent, took alot of coats to cover and ran really bad. Just didn't cover very well at all. I'll be curious about how your paint works out.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Merlin
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Merlin »

What brand of paint or dye did you use to change the interior pieces to black? I know the seats came that way, different ride, but the dash and other pieces, did you paint them or what?
1989 RS Astro, V-8 and maybe a shift it myself tranny, still deciding on this one. Dutch doors, Cad tail lights, shaving the rest now. 12 bolt rear end was in the van when I got it but changing how it sets to lower.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I got DupliColor for the caliper paint. I think on my old mustang I just used Red High Temp paint and it actually did really well. Thats what I painted the drums with, flat black high temp engine enamel. Looks good. :yawinkle:

As far as the interior pieces, so far I've only dont the console, but I am going to do parts of the doors, dash, and other pieces of trim. I used the Duplicolor vinyl and plastic dye. All I did was clean the console with soap and water, sprayed a plastic primer on it, then sprayed 5 or 6 coats of the black vinyl dye. Turned out really really good. Been on a month, no scratches, runs, etc.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Yea,,the Duplicolor is some good stuff for sure. Have used it for years on interior parts. Guess I should have tried it on my calipers also. When ya find a good thing, best to stick with it I guess.

Has anyone tried the Krylon brand for plastic yet ? I haven't, just curious. :-k
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

if you didnt already, make sure you reinforce the grill insert. mine only came with clips for the top so it just kinda hung from the plastic and swung back and forth. i could not believe they expected that to hold up for too long, but what i ended up doing is finding some screws that just fit into the vertical running pillars that are on the backside holding it all together, still with me? i just crammed a couple locking washers inbetween there and screwed them from the bottom of the grill up and put some locktite in for reassurance. this made it feel much more solid and has been fine for 2+ years now, no signs of stress on the plastic. looking good, just get rid of that rear bumper and youll be all set!
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

GnarliSafari,
The Stull Grill I got had a total of 6 mounting points (3 top/3 bottom) with bolts, lock washer, and a metal piece tab. It is completely solid. I wonder if they updated it? What brand did you get?

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

meetthespeakers wrote:GnarliSafari,
The Stull Grill I got had a total of 6 mounting points (3 top/3 bottom) with bolts, lock washer, and a metal piece tab. It is completely solid. I wonder if they updated it? What brand did you get?
mine was from ebay, its completely made of metal and the chrome seems to be holding up, looks like all the other ones ive ever seen, but maybe it is just some cheap tawain knock-off, i forget the brand. all i know is i only paid $50 and local shops wanted like $150. and i know the couple extra screws dont cost $100. i guess if your not good at doing things yourself mine would have sucked but it was worth the price difference for me.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

I like the way the front looks. That would look really slick on all black van. :supz:
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...