busted oil pan (ie waited too long to instal skid plate)

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

busted oil pan (ie waited too long to instal skid plate)

Post by photo_van »

Had a great three day trip until the front end slid off a rock. As luck would have it she came down hard center oil pan on a pointy rock. Busted it up pretty bad. Spent a good part of last night under there puddying the thing up with JB Weld. Got into the nearest town on two quarts of oil (which I discovered covers the pick up so I had full oil pressure). Filled it up with another 2 and a half and made it back home. SO! Anybody ever weld up (or have welded up) the pan while it's still on the van? Other ideas short of what sounds like the nightmare of removing the pan?

Had a good time otherwise!
_MG_1802.jpg
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: busted oil pan (ie waited too long to instal skid plate)

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Ouch.
If, it is aluminium, and I expect it is, I wouldnt do anything else but replace my pan, and install a skidplate.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

doyoulikeithere wrote:Ouch.
If, it is aluminium, and I expect it is, I wouldnt do anything else but replace my pan, and install a skidplate.
Yep, aluminum. There are quite a few used/cheap on ebay. Not relishing the job though.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Doh!

This is one of my fears too. If you find a good solution for having the skid plates fabbed locally, let me know. I think you're close enough to me that I could probably use the same shop or whatever. Been eyeballing Dean's plans, but haven't done the legwork to find a shop that would do the bends...

I wonder if IMS has a bender that could handle that? Get it sheared and bent from them then do the drilling at home?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Ya, it's the Achilles Heel for off roading these things. A skid plate was always in the plans, but unfortunately not a high enough priority; I guess it will be now. It wasn't even close to the roughest road I've been on; just some deep ruts in a 2wd road that I slipped into and one pointy rock....

I haven't given up on repairing it on the vehicle. I'm headed into town right now with a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate to see if a new bottom can be welded on. Might be cheaper and better in the long run to just buy a $60 used one off ebay....
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

I Believe that No One will be able to weld the pan In-Situ.
There is simply to much contamination on the material.
Also Known as Oil in the pan, even if drained, it is not clean enough in there to weld.
The weld beads will all leak due to porosity.
Plus, Oil will contact molten or very hot metal, and, probably start a fire...... Have fun with that.
Kinda sounds easier to drop the pan , to me at least.

BTW, I raised my engine up 2", and the pan is no longer such a target, but I suppose could still take a hit. At least its a steel pan....
I have an aluminum AWD V6 oil-pan you can have FREE if you pay shipping... Hows That ?

BTW, That "other site" has a some folks trying to make me believe a 2wd pan will fit an AWD van.
GrandAmLE, and ChevyMaher. Dumbasses both, I tried to explain, but they refuse to lend an intelligent ear.
(or are incapable perhaps) Anyways........

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

You're right, no one would touch it while it is on the van for the reasons you state.

Wow, thanks for the offer DYLIH! I just ordered one for $35/free shipping from ebay; I think shipping from BC would probably be at least that much!!

RE 2wd vs awd. I don't know, but for a 98, Rock Auto doesn't list them separately. Maybe on earlier models with the steel pan???

Now to find Lifted's thread on skid plates!!!

Looks like I get to do the PS pump while I'm at it.... :cry:
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

photo_van wrote:RE 2wd vs awd. I don't know, but for a 98, Rock Auto doesn't list them separately. Maybe on earlier models with the steel pan???
I hope this doesnt bite you. Guess only time will tell. please post a pic of what you get, k?
Fact: 2wd and AWD pans are not the same.
The AWD aluminum pan has the small but deep sump, just like the steel AWD one. I have some of each in my basement.
2wd pans have a longer sump that doesnt clear the front axle. Awd has a small, very deep sump soit will clear the axle.
Unless, Did they only use the AWD style pan , even on later 2wd vans?
I'm certain I have seen 2wd AND AWD versions of the Aluminum pan, and the steel pans too.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

No problem there, the pan I purchased is from an '01 Blazer and has the same casting # as mine (12559522).
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

here's photos of what I bought
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 3.38.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 3.38.36 PM.png
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

photo_van wrote:Now to find Lifted's thread on skid plates!!!
You'd be looking for this: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=85
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Thanks Herbie, that's the one! I'm thinking any sheet metal shop could do this. I'll check with the local HVAC guys here. I know they have a giant break (brake?) but not sure if it will handle 1/4" stock. I'd like to set it up so I don't have to remove it for oil changes.
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Yup, Thats looks like the AWD style with the tall thin sump.
the 2wd style looks like this , and as you can see, could have clearance issues with the axle.
Now the fun begins eh??

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

I'm doing oil pan gasket on mine right now and it's turned into that plus motor mounts (urethane), rebuild trans cooler lines and more... :yikes: :D
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Uh YA, might have a bit of a time shoe horning that pan in an AWD [-X

Strover; good call. I of course just did my cooler lines last year; would have been a lot easier with the oil pan out!!! )>) Have you pulled the pan yet?
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710