TOW POINTS, What I Did For The Front. 99 AWD Lifted

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: TOW POINTS, What I Did For The Front. 99 AWD Lifted

Post by mdmead »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote: I might just use this thread as a starting point for mounting the same receiver hitch on the front of my truck to haul bikes while camping! :supz:
Yeah, I really like this mount too. I've filed it away in my mind as a future van project. (Just a couple of other minor projects ahead of it though...) :rolleyes:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:The only thing I would change is welding the side plates to the frame and placing the bumper relocation brackets on the outside. You also need longer bolts unless they are only started in the pics. By welding the backside of the vertical section to the frame I would not be worried about banging it on rocks or using it for winching.
The bolts are long enough, I think. Once torqued down, there's a smidge of the bolt protruding beyond the end of the nut. Can't remember if these are stock bumper bolts or if I got longer ones with the Overland Vans bumper-bracket kit. I could swap the brackets around to put the bumper brackets on "top" (inboard), but I can't figure out how to make welding the side plates to the frame work.

I should have taken a picture of everything disassembled, but those side "plates" each have about a 12" section of tubing welded to them - that tubing then telescopes inside the main center tube. You can see in this picture that the inner tube extends almost to the innermost bolt-hole:

If I weld the side plates to the frame, those inner tubes would go with them, and there'd be no way to get the center section in-place. You have to pre-assemble it (loosely), bolt the side plates on, then tighten the 4 big carriage bolts that secure the main-tube in the left/right orientation. If those bolts were loose, the main-tube could theoretically slide left/right about an inch, but even with a 90* side-pull you'd still be pulling on those four bolts in shear.

Unless you're talking about welding it in after it's been otherwise assembled? Something to consider, but I'd have to think it through to make sure I'd never need to remove it to service the radiator, etc. and I'd want to get those cooling lines sorted out first...
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I was talking about after it was assembled. From all the work I have done on my vans over the years, there has never been a time I needed that space except when I SAS'd the SPB. I used that space for the front hanger mounts.

Here is where I was talking about welding:
Attachments
Front hitch.jpg
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

shmikeynyc
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by shmikeynyc »

i just ordered the same kit as herbie hoping to make it work , before reading this post. I was thinking mounting outside the frame tho ,it makes more sense inside

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Herbie wrote:[I should have taken a picture of everything disassembled, but those side "plates" each have about a 12" section of tubing welded to them - that tubing then telescopes inside the main center tube. You can see in this picture that the inner tube extends almost to the innermost bolt-hole:

Mike, is there any reason that you can't unbolt the inner tubes, then flip (and rotate actually) the main center tube upside down to get the reciever a little higher for increased approach angle? :-k
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

T.Low wrote:
Herbie wrote:[I should have taken a picture of everything disassembled, but those side "plates" each have about a 12" section of tubing welded to them - that tubing then telescopes inside the main center tube. You can see in this picture that the inner tube extends almost to the innermost bolt-hole:

Mike, is there any reason that you can't unbolt the inner tubes, then flip (and rotate actually) the main center tube upside down to get the reciever a little higher for increased approach angle? :-k
I looked into that, and it might be possible, but those coolant lines that are now "resting" on the cross tube would be fully in the way at that point. If you could find a way to reroute or bend them (significantly) out of the way, then it's possible.

I was a lot more worried about it until I saw that the bottom of the receiver tube it pretty much flush with the bottom of the front bumper skin, and it only protrudes a couple more inches forward:

I think if you're THAT close, you'll be close to dragging the front bumper anyways.
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Doh! #-o I guess it wasn't designed for off road use in mind, who woulda thought?

I know you won't take this the wrong way, Mike, it's not that big of a deal, I'm just thinking outloud.

As fate would have it, the Astro design makes for a great approach angle and I'm just always thinking to try to capitilize on it's strengths. In this case, it may be more work than it's worth, though.

If I'm off road, of course the recovery shackle will be inserted ahead of time, just in case, and if this is rock (like at Moab or something, it might be a slight hang up. Well you get the picture. But...it is what it is and it'll fine 99.9 % of the time.

Edit: FWIW, the van actually cleaned this on all three points: approach, departure, and break over. The guy following me was off road enthusiast, but sold his monster jeep to build another one, and was in his new stock jk 4 dr with base package tires and he scraped a lot on the departure and said it shocked him because he saw how easily my van cleared.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

T.Low wrote:Doh! #-o I guess it wasn't designed for off road use in mind, who woulda thought?

I know you won't take this the wrong way, Mike, it's not that big of a deal, I'm just thinking outloud.
Yeah, no worries. I'm up for all discussions - and I realize this solution is far from ideal. This was literally the "crap, I'm going to be in some DEEP sand just four days from now and might need to get yanked out" fix. That's one reason I haven't welded anything yet. I do anticipate reworking the whole shebang at some point. Probably just end up with a custom front bumper! ;-)

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Everyone,
I installed the 2 inch lift kit. When the front bumper was off I cut opening in the bumper and mount recovery hooks that are accessed through the bumper. The S10 Chevy Blazer tow hooks work well.
I will try to post photos.

Astrophysics
Attachments
P1020299.JPG

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

more photos of S10 Chevy Blazer tow hooks mounted thru bumper at time of lift kit install
finished the cut in plastic bumper shield with standard rubber oval gasket for Peterson tail light .
Astrophysics
Attachments
iPad Astro Lift kit 022.jpg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

finished look of tow hook
Attachments
iPad Astro Lift kit 030.jpg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

inside view showing that 1 bolt is mounted to frame and requires 1 new hole to be drilled.

use 3/8 bolts or 10 mm.
Astrophysics
Attachments
iPad Astro Lift kit 008.jpg

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Very slick!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

mdmead wrote:Very slick!
I agree! Looks pretty damn good! When I get the gear swap done, :rolleyes: I may just have to do the same thing plus I need to flush mount backup lights.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I just wrap a strap around the front crossmember 8-[