Need help with lift

Topic author
tstol
I am merely driving my van

Need help with lift

Post by tstol »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help with tire sizes. My ignorance made it more difficult than normal, so I appreciate your patience.

My OLV lift kit is installed, however there is (anticipated) rubbing. It seems I can't trim the front alone. I will need to increase the torsion (which may not be the proper nomenclature) on the front end, increasing the lift. This will make the front end higher than the rear...which I definitely don't want.

Is there a way to trim the front in a fashion that doesn't require it to be lifted further via torsion, or is there a way to lift the rear further to make the van level?

Thanks in advance!

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Need help with lift

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

My 2003Astro AWD has the 2" Overland lift and 225/70-16 tires which did not rub.
What size tires are you using?

Also, at the rear it has Monroe air shocks which allow me to raise the rear if needed.
Enjoy the lifted AStro, but drive carefully since cg center of gravity is higher now on turns, etc.

The other nice thing about the lift is that access under the van is easier for oil changes. And if you ever change spark plugs, you have access thru wheel well, by temporarily removing the splash guards.

AP

Topic author
tstol

Post by tstol »

Thanks for the quick response. I went with 235/70R16.

Great idea on the shocks. If I new to ask the question before I would have done that. I purchased 4 new shocks, Pro Comp ES3000, for $225 off of OLV. I hate losing money due to my own ignorance, but that might be a simple solution. I can always save the other pair for another 20 years until these wear out, lol.

Copy all on higher CG. My first van adventures were back in 1986 with a 1970 VW bus. If I could survive that, I can survive anything. Coming up to 50 years old, I'm a mellow driver now. It's all about trying to look cooler than I really am. :guitar:

TStol

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Wait, which kit did you install?

Doesn't the OLV 2" kit include the adjustable spring shackles? If you need to level the rear after raising the front a bit, just go to the next hole in the shackle.

And I'm also curious what size tires you're running, and where it's rubbing. It's possible your torsion springs are a little tired, so by adjusting them you might just be putting them back to a roughly "normal" level of preload.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Some photos and specs of where you're at - shackle lift hole like Herbie mentioned would help. I wouldn't be afraid to adjust the torsion bars a bit to even out the ride height, that is what the adjustment is there for. Flat surface to measure fender height and I like to have 1/2 tank of gas and someone in the driver's seat at least.

If your van is still low in back after shackle lift (+2") then your springs are probably worn and have lost arch.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander