BFG TA KO 2, tires, more sizes available now in 16"

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

BFG TA KO 2, tires, more sizes available now in 16"

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Offroaders,

Just look at the 4 Wheel Parts website for BFG TA KA 2 tires with the enhanced sidewall grip.
Fortunately they now have in stock some of the smaller sizes for 16" rims.
A year ago, they just seemed to have big stuff when the KO 2 first came out to replace the original KO.

now they have:
LT225/75-R16 Load E, 42.2 lb, 29.2" diam. this seems like a good fit for 2" lifted Astro.

Also, they have LT235/85-R16, load E, 49 lb, 31.7" which may need 4.10 or 3.73 axle instead of my 3.42 ratio

also, P225/70-R16, 28.43"
and
P215/65-R16 , load D, 27" which is close to stock height and would spin up good with 3.08 gears

AP

my old BFG TA KO LT 225/70-16's are 10 years old now and still have good tread but the tire manufacturers try to scare us not to use tires more than 6 years old.
I have that set of tires on separate set of rims. Normally I am running P225/70-16 Michelin LTX 2 around town.

racrx7
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: BFG TA KO 2, tires, more sizes available now in 16"

Post by racrx7 »

I've been looking at the new KO's for my van. I have a Jounrneys lift kit to install and thinking about running the 255/70r16's on a set of Fuel revolver 16x8 rims. Do you think that size will fit?

O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle
Journeys rear spring hangers and shackles, S-10 leaf springs, 2" body lift
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
Tires and wheels, wow there are so many options.

The Astro was first sold in 1985 and I think it came with 195/75 -15 tires on 5.5" rims.

The wheel wells on Astro are not large enough for huge tires on wide rims that can be so easily done on pick up trucks.

The amazing thing is that moderate size tires work really well and the overall diamter of the tire affects the axle ratio needed for adequate acceleration.

Tall tires are tempting to gain ground clearance for off roading, but it takes a 2" larger diameter tire to get 1" more of ground clearance. But the larger diameter tires are heavier and more difficult to accelerate.
Wider tires on an Astro are also difficult due to interfernce with fender and sheet metal trim, especially on the front. The rear wheel wheel on Astro also has limited clearance.
If you do fall into spending the big $$ dollars on new wheels and tire, try to keep the old wheels and tires in case you need to put the originals back on the
Tire Rack, Wheel Works, customer reviews, wheels are tantilizing artist and style statements. If you actually weigh a new aluminum aftermarket wheel with a bathroom scale you will find that aluminum wheels are still heavy due to manufactures not wanting it to fail. Also, large heavy tirs affect fuel MPG mileage.
But modifying cars is fun and each new part bring new knowledge. But basically a Astro van is never going to be a Jeep Wrangler doing rock crawling on difficult trails. Some good use of Astro is for Overland travel on moderate dirt roads. See www.expeditionportal.com a group from Arizona. For neat journies.

The Astro like the VW Synchro van and the new Sprinter 4x4 van handle quite well with moderate size tires. Big tires can be over down and then become more of a style or bling statement.

Good luck.

AP

Snowgeek

Post by Snowgeek »

Racrx7 - I personally have the overland 4" lift with upper ball joints flipped and re indexed keys. When I was buying everything on round one I did a bunch of research and found the most common size used in that range was thre slightly narrower 245/75/16 on stock rims.

I cut my fender back and cut and beat the seam down at the back of the front fender wells. I rub occasionally when the suspension cycles under a tighter turn but that is about it.

I would fear the wider tire on a wider rim may rub more but I don have any experience with it.

To stay moderately on topic I have the cooper discovery at3 and am happy with them but I think the BFG might be the next tire. I went with the cooper since I didn't have low range and because the cooper offered a lighter 6 ply tire and BFG was only offered in 8 ply and 10-12 lbs more per tire.

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

Thanks guys. Yes Astrophysics, so many options, opinions, what rubs, what doesn't rub, offset, back spacing etc. Mainly why I posted the question. Nothing seems quite definitive and cut and dry. I'm not really after the tallest available option here, just something a little wider and taller. If I need to gear accordingly, I will.

Snowgeek, If the tire calculators are correct, your size tire shows to be a little taller than the 255/70. But I suppose the extra width could be a factor.

I may have just wasted $$ on new wheels. I am definitely function over form, but don't mind the occasional touch of coolness.

I could go by what one person once said on here, "buy the tire size you want and make it fit" lol
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle

Snowgeek

Post by Snowgeek »

Cool, I was thinking it would end up both a little taller and the wider. I like the concept of pick your size and make it fit, truly that is what we have all done.

Don't hessitate on the wheel I think it will look great and the wider rim will open up the tire a bit.

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

The 255/70-16 KO'2s equate to 30x10". They fit, along with the usual bumper and rear wheel well opening trimming. And I think its because the tires are mounted on 16X8", (4.5" back spacing), wheels, the rear sliding door just touches the tire at 75% door opening. I should be able to tweak the rear door sliding hinge to get an additional .250" clearance.
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle

racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

Any suggestions as to what air pressure to run in the BFG KO's for highway use? Max rating is 80 psi. That seems to be alot :yikes:
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Awesome tires and wheels!

Your larger tires have plenty of load capacity even at low pressures. The OEM size astro tire probably was rated about 1700 lbs at max pressure. Check side wall ratings on bigger tires.
I run 40 psi in my P225/70-16 Michelins LX2.
For off road you can even air down to 32 psi or even lower.

AP

racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

Awesome tires and wheels!
Thank you sir!
And thank you for that bit of tire info. I will try 40psi and see how that does.
:cheers:
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle

clarkj128
I am merely driving my van

Post by clarkj128 »

racrx7. The stance of your van is killer! :supz: How much lift are you running? I see you have a 2" body lift plus some suspension mods.

clarkj128

Post by clarkj128 »

racrx7. The stance of your van is killer! :supz: How much lift are you running? I see you have a 2" body lift plus some suspension mods.

clarkj128

Post by clarkj128 »

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Happy New Year to All,

I plan to put on the BFG KO for winter snow trip.

I stored these tires on there sides in the shade for 2 years . I hope they are still round and true.

AP

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Got a set of P245/75-16 Cooper Discover AT3 4 S tires. The 4S version just came out in August 2018. They are Standard load, but only weigh 37 lbs and should ride nice.
Put them on stock wheels on 2003 np231C equipped AWD Astro . I have OVerland 2" lift.
Cranked front torsion bars 4 turns to get about 1" more lift and level front end now that I have winch and heavy bumper.
Trimmed front cladding. Rear still rubs on front edge.

Ordered the Journeys Off Road JOR, front spring hangers which will pull axle rearward 3/8". To center rear wheels.
Attachments
AT3. 4S vs KO
AT3. 4S vs KO