ARB Winch Bumper Install - DasMule Expedition Outfitters

Topic author
SilverBullet1997
I get chills without my van.

Re: ARB Winch Bumper Install - DasMule Expedition Outfitter

Post by SilverBullet1997 »

I think if I hit an elk with this thing, the poor thing would break in half, and I'm not talking about the bumper....
Here is a couple videos of my first van offroading at Tahuya WA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFaZXo2KL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zn5ppLI6g
R.I.P 1997 Astro AWD SilverBullet 4-9-1997 to 2-17-2015 - Cause of death: Rear-ended
1999 Astro AWD SilverBullet II 1-4-1999 - Present

5" lift, 31x1050r15 tires. 7 inches over stock

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I'm looking at this also
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Does anyone have updated status on the Das Mule ARB bumper kit?
I found this photos of the 2003 AWD OEM thin steel bumper and the fact that the 2 inch lift bumper relocator bracket is weak too.
Also, when I installed my 2 inch lift and bumper relocator, I got not get the OEM spacer/ crush piece to fit back in??? !!!! My bumper is very weak. WOW,

I may take off the OEM bumper and get an ARB this summer.

Safety First
Adventure Always!

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Having issues posting photo of OEM front flimsy bumper,

What is status on Das Mule ARB bumper?

AP

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I'm curious to know the bumpers "bumper" capability being that close to the body and that high above the frame.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Good point.
Hopefully the Das Mule additional steel cross bar adds some strength.
Also, the subframe extension to rear leaf spring shackles does sound like food idea.

It does seem like an forward extension of the Astro bumper to add more crumple zone would be good idea. The short snub nose makes the Astro short in overall length about 186" va about 196" for a Chevy Tahoe which has longer hood.
A 6" more of front bumper overhang would be OK with me. Astro will not be used in extreme Jeep type rock crawling anyway. More frontal safety is my goal.
I have investigate the aluminum safety bumpers made by Romeo bumpers. They also use a heavy rubber bumper guard which absorbs much of low speed impact energy. The Romeo safety bumpers are used on Chevy and Ford vans set up as school buses.

AP

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I use rubber bumpers made for tractor trailers and docks on the front. In my setup they don't do much other than to protect my fairlead and recovery points from puncturing too deep into someones trunk. But for someone else they would be ideal on a big bumper for minor impact absorption.

1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Rubber bumpers, very clever.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

The adapter bracket looks very strong with cross bar etc.

The ARB bumper sits up high sp the brush guard opening alughns with the Astro headlights.
For my 2" lifted Astro, perhaps i could get a different model of the ARB bumper with a larger taller brush guard so i could mount bumper a bit lower so that horizontal force vector from frontal impact would be closer to the centerline of the OEM frame mount.

The Astros with 4 or 5" lift probably like the bumper that Das Mule has used. It looks like the ARB bumper from a Toyota FJ Cruiser. MAybe an ARB bumper from a Chevy truck or Dodge or Ford would have taller brush guard opening?

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Das Mule Staff,

I measured my 2003 Astro grille and radiator opening, and headlights today.

Please have your designers take a look to see if the ARB 3462030/3562040 bumper has a larger brush guard opening as compared to the FJ cruiser 3420210 brush guard opening.
Our Astro has 12 inch high air flow into radiator, and it looks like the fj bar could block much of radiator air flow.

Please consider making your Astro adapter kit suitable for use with several ARB bumpers.
The FJ bumper looks good for 4" lifted Astros,
But perhaps a ARB Chevy truck bumper may give better fit on 2" lifted Astro.

Thank you.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Astrophysics wrote: It looks like the ARB bumper from a Toyota FJ Cruiser.
It's that obvious.

I think I can answer your question about the ARB bumpers for the full sized Chevcy/GMC trucks. Yes they fit the dimensions pretty much perfectly, especially the ARB 3462040. BUT they are heavy. Shipping weight with pallet is 253lbs and that is JUST THE BUMPER not any brackets. So figure the bumper itself it about 220+. Brackets could weigh another 30lbs. SB estimated his to weigh about 200lbs but my guess is it is less than that.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Everyone,

Yes, steel is heavy. Wow the OEM thin sheet metal bumper and brackets only weighs about 40 or 50 lbs.
It sure would be nice to have an Aluminum ARB. But expensive.

The ROMEO aluminum safety bumpers are $700 but they are awesome with a heavy duty I beam type aluminum bumper thick wall 1/4" or so. And they come with a very strong heavy duty rubber bumper pad that absorbs low speed impacts with no scratches to the vehicle.

AP

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

So I sent an email out looking for info on the brackets and I thought I would share the reply for those thinking of heading in this direction

"We'll have the mounts up on our website the first week of June for purchase!
Looks like they will come in around $449 per kit.

Check back in just a couple weeks and you should be able to purchase.

Thank you!

Dana"

I don't know what the kit entails but one would think they have adressed the flimsy bumper mounts and then some.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Captain,

I spent Saturday measuring OEM Astro grille and lights and OEM bumper and brain storming ways of improving the Das Mule design to make it attractive to more Astro owners. Basically, the FJ Cruiser ARB bumper does sound like the best choice since it is lighter than the Chevy Truck ones. Good. But, the present version of the Das Mule brackets, mounts the ARB bumper super high for maximum clearance and approach angle features for hard core off roading. To make the Das Mule set up more versatile I sent them an email asking for extra mounting holes on their adapter cross member to allow other ARB bumpers. I realize that it not necessarily easy.
BUT, now I am suggesting to Das Mule that their new FJ Cruiser ARB bracket for Astro allow several mounting heights of the bumper. The high mount as shown on the first 3 vans done, as well as a low mount bumper version which basically lets the ARB FJ bumper be mounted 6 inches lower. This would allow a super strong bumper and the center line of the ARB would be closer to the frame mounting points on the Astro. By lowering he bumper installed height 6 inches, the brush guard of the ARB would have its opening at the level of the OEM Astro turn/ park lamps. The OEM headlight of the Astro would be higher than the brush guard of the ARB.

I have photos and sketches of my concept but I am having issues posted photos to the sight.
I will email and attach my photos and sketches to Das Mule on Tuesday.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Again,

By copying the side view photo and opening it in Paint program, I was able to move the ARB bumper down about 6" to see the side view.
With the bumper mounted lower, the OEM Chevy park/turn lamps will be usable and the lamp openings in the ARB bumper itself can be used for fog/ off road lights.

AP