Shock mounts, Bilstein HDs, wheels & tires for 4" lift?

Topic author
rvflyfish
I am merely driving my van

Re: Shock mounts, Bilstein HDs, wheels & tires for 4" lift?

Post by rvflyfish »

I'll second that emotion, very sloppy indeed. Thanks for the tip, PhotoVan. I'll try the latter.

Topic author
rvflyfish

Post by rvflyfish »

Photo_Van, when you drilled and cut the shock mounts, what did you do with the brake line that's bolted to the back of the passenger side mount? Did you cut it off just below the bolt, leaving about 1/2" of the tab hanging below the axle? Or did you remount the brake line elsewhere?
Attachments
image.jpg

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

It's always a surprise the little changes GM made between years. My '98 doesn't have that bracket. I'd cut it just below.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Yeah, that's the setup for the '03-'05 with rear discs.

I cut them off and left a tab for the bolts.

2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
rvflyfish

Post by rvflyfish »

Thanks PV, thanks Strover. BTW Strover, I went with the Ranchos. An awesome shop in Santa Rosa called Yodaman agreed with your recommendation. Said they were much better than Bilsteins. And he sells both.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

You're welcome. I've been happy with the overall performance of the Rancho RS9000XL shocks, I prefer a firm ride for everyday driving and seem to have settled on around 7 clicks in the front and 6 or 7 clicks in the rear depending on load (no rear seats in van usually). I'll go all the way up to 9 clicks for heavy loads or towing duty. The van had a real wallowy feel when I tested them on the first click!

Compared side by side with Bilstein, the Rancho are not of the same quality but they get the job done performance wise.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Stroverlander wrote:Photo_van, when you do your upper ball joint relocation, will you take before and after measurements at full extension? Thanks!
I did the flip yesterday and put in new Rancho 999123 shocks. These shocks have 3/4" more travel than stock which gave me very close to an inch more travel out at the wheel.

Measurement from fender to hub/axle center

Before L 22 1/2 R 22 5/8
After L 23 3/8 R 23 1/2

This causes the upper control arm to bottom out before the shock which may not be a good thing if one is a hard driver (I added a padded stop here like the trucks have). It also puts a lot of angulation on the tierod ends which someday I hope to flip with a 3/4 ton upgrade.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

WERDI Recreation

Post by WERDI Recreation »

Hello all,

Sorry to bring this back, I have the same setup(year, AWD, and as soon as I get a couple parts I will install - 4" lift) as photo_van and have always like the Strover setup.
Can Stroverland or Photo_van let me know which part number Rancho you used for front and rear?

Thank you fellas.