Hi All

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
AndyH
I am merely driving my van

Hi All

Post by AndyH »

Hi all,

Just introducing myself.

I am the proud owner of a *somewhat modified* 96 American Road Astro conversion.
Its been in my hands for just over a year now, and been off the road for 1/2 of that time getting a rebuild and mods done.

She is now sporting a 305 V8 TPI engine rebuilt with Trick Flow heads, K Black pistons at 10.5:1, Arrow rods, Crane XM cam, Roller followers, Headman headers, Highly modified injection system (XJ220 injectors) Motec M84 ECU, Aeromotive fuel pump and regulator. No Cat's and twin 3" stainless exhaust. HP oil pump, Edelbrock water pump, BBK twin 58mm throttle body. LS6 ignition coils on wasted spark, Vortec 60-2 crank sensor and replace the dizzy with a AEM conversion to give me Cam position, Twin alternator using the Camaro TPI alternator / PS pump bracket and the original V6 Alternator / tensioner bracket and a shed load of spacers to make it all line up :muhaha: Cooling is via a HUGE custom made Alloy Radiator. Next phase is to replace the dual alternator with a Rotrex Supercharger Oh and i have had to loose the AC as the Trick Flow head / valve cover arrangement made it impossible to fit the AC pump.

Dyno run came good with 406 HP at the crank so im hoping to get 550 with the Rotrex.

Mated up to a rebuilt 4RL65E trans and an MSD Atomic control unit, i may have to go to the RL8* gearbox but i will wait to see what happens :

Interior is pretty standard AR and in better than average condition.
I have installed a CDL3 Motec dash to display all the T's and P's ect which makes life easier than installing multiple gauges everywhere.
Currently working on a center console to house the new Alpine 801 sat-nav, then get it all re-trimmed in Carbon and grey leather.

Its getting there slowly though :)

nonhog
I get chills without my van.

Re: Hi All

Post by nonhog »

Pics? (saw other thread:)) Welcome from another newb.
Have to ask, why a 305? Already had one?
Recovering hoarder

Topic author
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

Why not :)

But yeah, one came available and had a TPI manifold + it was cheap and the block was in real good condition.
I also read the superchevy article which said it was relatively easy to get 400HP...and i thought, hell...why not?

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Damn dude! THATS a lot of van. It's great to see someone taking it all the way to the wall. No a/c? Don't think you'll miss it much just Using the vents at 155mph will provide plenty of airflow
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mmusicman »

Wow!!! Awesome van!!! ...although the "NO A/C" would be a deal-breaker for me here is South Florida.
I'm impressed! Sounds like you did it up serious and right!

Welcome!
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

Topic author
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

Living here in the UK, were not know for our high temp summers :rolleyes: so loosing the AC was no real big one, so i have converted it to a rear heater instead (much more useful here) haha.

Looking at a Vortec, Rotrex or similar supercharger next for that added bit of ooomfff

I had an issue with the heads from TrickFlow but the guys there were plain AWESOME, sent me a new set complete with rocker girdles, trick flow roller rockers, new valve covers and complete gasket set free of charge. It turned out the heads had larger valves than it should have and there was a chance of damage to the crown of the block :( but TF spotted their error and got straight on to me. I envy you guys in the USA for the service you get :prayer: