When buying a van (99 Astro awd) what to look for?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
shotgun
I am merely driving my van

When buying a van (99 Astro awd) what to look for?

Post by shotgun »

I know it's bad form to get right into it without an introduction but.....

I am looking at a 99 Astro and need to know any common problems to look for.

You could at it like this, give me some good advice and gain yourself a new member. O:)

She has 108K and felt good on the test drive today.

I was able to look around underneath with a flashlight and all looked fine based or age mileage.

Thanks in advance.

Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: When buying a van (99 Astro awd) what to look for?

Post by Drummernaut »

I tested my AWD in the gravel before I bought it to make sure the AWD system worked. Try tight turns to see if there is any kind of binding during the turns. Check for same tire size front to back and even wear.

I had to replace my radiator but that is not uncommon with any vehicle of that age. Your Mileage is real good.

Some of the other common things that have failed on my 99:

Window regulator motors
Front door lock actuators
Front hub/bearing
Front door outside handles

None of these would keep me from buying the van you are looking at. All problems listed and more can be solved be searching this site.

VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Post by VanGoGo »

When I bought my '99 I did notice some orange 'goop' around my starter, but thought nothing of it...later learned about the lower intake gaskets and realized it was where coolant had been dripping down the motor...check for coolant leaks
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I would pull the engine and transmission dipsticks and look closely at the fluid color, feel and smell. Make sure they are at level and the engine should't be real thin, cloudy or smell of gas. The transmission should be a dark pink to a red color and not smell burnt. If it's dark brown to black, expect to have to rebuild the tranny at some time in the near future. Look at the front and rear diff's for oil leaks and also the engine oil cooler lines. Find out when the idler arms were last replaced if at all. If they have never been done, they will need to be done at some point.

Depending on price, the only deal breakers for me are 1. the tranny fluid and condition and 2. the engine running condition. The rest of the stuff can be done with basic hand tools and a little time.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
shotgun

Post by shotgun »

Thanks for the responses. I got the basics covered, been working on cars 30+ years.

It appear to have been owed/operated in/by NY city. Has a door sticker that says NY03?

It has a lot of Fleet RPO's.

Weird RPO code VSK that means "telstar"? I an assuming Telstar Automotive a conversion company.

It does have a old receptacle in that side and a few antenna mounts, maybe an old surveillance van?

will hear tomorrow if it passed PA inspection and then I may make an offer.