Tool Tip for Factory Lugnut/Winch Tool

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Tool Tip for Factory Lugnut/Winch Tool

Post by Herbie »

So I was going through the tool kit in my Van today and realized I'd neglected to post about a little tool tip I came up with.

Bottom of that photo is the factory Jack/Winch kit - the ratcheting handle and the tool for the lug nuts and spare-tire winch.

I keep a full-size 30" spare under my van and do a 5-tire rotation. As such, I'm running the winch up/down more than the General probably guessed most people would be. I have always loathed using the factory handle to drive the winch because it's a bit awkward. You have to get the ratcheting handle over the hex shaft and keep it from sliding around while you try to turn it up or down. My ratchet is also pretty rough. This sucks hard when you're lifting the spare back under and actually have to ratchet things, especially if you have an oversized/full size spare and need to guide it into place between the rails, etc. as you snug it up.

My solution is the little run of the mill hex coupling nut on the left side of the picture. This is same size as the lug nuts - it acts as an adapter so I can insert it into the lug end of the winch tool and then drive the winch with a normal 22mm socket (either on a regular ratchet handle, or with an electric drill/impact driver.)

For my 2003, the lug nuts are 22mm, I believe this is the same for all years? Anyhow, for $2.45 from McMaster, this makes a handy bit of convenience. https://www.mcmaster.com/93355A370/
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Tool Tip for Factory Lugnut/Winch Tool

Post by MountainManJoe »

Nice.

I liked how the Astro factory scissor jack had a regular hex head on screw end. I could use an impact driver and socket adapter to drive the jack up and down.

My new van's scissor jack just has a stupid eyelet for putting a metal hook through.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Agree that the lugnut-size hex head on the factory jack just makes so much damned sense.

I'm in the middle of trying to put the tool kit on a diet (hence pulling everything out and going through it), and I'm thinking I'm going to go back to the factory scissor jack, and maybe just weld up an axle tube adapter for it. I have been carrying the Bogert Safe Jack kit (bottle jack with various adapters and extensions, along with a break-down jackstand kit), but it weighs in at close to 30lbs.

The safejack stuff was nice because it gave me more lift points and a longer "reach" so I could lift from the rear axle without getting under the van (whereas the janky factory "ratchet" was hard to use except at the factory jack points - which required a LOT more lifting to get the wheels off the ground.) I think if I just add a speeder handle with a wobbler and an axle-tube adapter, I could do all the same lifts with the factory jack, without the risk of getting under the van...

The only reason I still keep the factory ratchet and lug tool was for the spare tire winch. Maybe I can at least ditch the ratchet since I already carry proper 1/2" drive ratchet also.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I sometimes carry a bottle jack, but I'll never leave the scissor at home. You can't beat the low profile. It's really good for when you don't have a lot of room (sunk in sand or whatever).

Have you seen those inflatable jacks?