FIRST TIME OWNER - QUESTION FOR YOU PROS

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
HiTechRedNeck
I am merely driving my van

FIRST TIME OWNER - QUESTION FOR YOU PROS

Post by HiTechRedNeck »

I recently purchased a 2002 Astro Van and just have a couple of questions. This van is in really good condition cosmetically, but there are a couple of things I want to address to make it a good driver. This Astro has 190,000 miles, so I know there will be some repairs. It does have new brakes, all 4 shocks, and new window motors already.

1. I drove the van 150 miles home after purchasing it. When I went in the garage the next morning I noticed a saucer sized pool of Tranny Oil on the floor under the van. It appears to be coming from on top of the tranny, so hopefully it's not the main seal between the engine and tranny. I have read in a few posts that these vans tend to need new cooling lines after 1000,000 miles. How difficult is it to replace the lines if they are rubbed through, or just the seals on the lines if that's all it needs?

2. There is a vibration at 65 and faster, feels like the drive line. It's a type of vibration that gets worse and better in a short cycle, like every 10 seconds. I have had universal joints feel this way when they go out, but I put the van in neutral and tried finding slack in the U-joints, and the U-joints seem OK. I heard on another forum that the vibration maybe be coming from the transmission tail shaft (Worn out Bushing) I hope that's where it's coming from because that's an easy fix.

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: FIRST TIME OWNER - QUESTION FOR YOU PROS

Post by Mmusicman »

1) Tranny leaks can come from numerous places... some easy... some not so easy. I usually "gunk" the transmission clean and dry... then after it has dried look for the leaky wet spot. You'll also want to determine if it is leaking while sitting or driving. Sitting could be as simple as a dipstick seal. Sometimes speedo-gears will leak. Could be a leaky line, but this is usually not typical. Leak could be rear seal, which is also fairly common. Also could be the pan gasket. If it's the front seal, or pump gasket, then that will be a major job. You need to attempt to find exactly where it is leaking. I've never had a front seal go bad.

2) Bad U-joints are not always easily discoverable... especially without removing the drive-shaft. They can fool you while checking with drive-shaft still in place. This would of course be the most likely cause of the high-speed hum and vibration.

You are correct that a worn rear trans bushing could be a possible cause of vibration... which might also be a potential cause for a leaking rear seal too. But I would be very certain to rule out u-joints first. Transmissions "can" cause vibrations, as well as rear-ends too. Possibly consider the motor mounts as well.

Happy hunting. Let us know what you find!
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

The oil cooler lines are connected to the radiator on left side (drivers side).'
The motor oil link is usually just a sea page from these lines. The actual oil cooler is right at the oil filter spin on adapter.'
Dorman coolant lines is about $70 at O Reilly or pep boy
S or auto zone, the kit is well made. I changed mine on my 2003 AWD Astro in 2015.

AP

Topic author
HiTechRedNeck

Post by HiTechRedNeck »

Astrophysics - It's not leaking motor oil. It's leaking Transmission Fluid (Red)
Also, the leak is coming from on top of the transmission, so I figured it's probably not the main seal or the Transmission oil pan. Thanks for the Oreilly Tip for parts.

Topic author
HiTechRedNeck

Post by HiTechRedNeck »

Mmusicman wrote:1) Tranny leaks can come from numerous places... some easy... some not so easy. I usually "gunk" the transmission clean and dry... then after it has dried look for the leaky wet spot. You'll also want to determine if it is leaking while sitting or driving. Sitting could be as simple as a dipstick seal. Sometimes speedo-gears will leak. Could be a leaky line, but this is usually not typical. Leak could be rear seal, which is also fairly common. Also could be the pan gasket. If it's the front seal, or pump gasket, then that will be a major job. You need to attempt to find exactly where it is leaking. I've never had a front seal go bad.

2) Bad U-joints are not always easily discoverable... especially without removing the drive-shaft. They can fool you while checking with drive-shaft still in place. This would of course be the most likely cause of the high-speed hum and vibration.

You are correct that a worn rear trans bushing could be a possible cause of vibration... which might also be a potential cause for a leaking rear seal too. But I would be very certain to rule out u-joints first. Transmissions "can" cause vibrations, as well as rear-ends too. Possibly consider the motor mounts as well.

Happy hunting. Let us know what you find!
I will be cleaning the engine and tranny soon, and I'll attempt to pin point the leak. I hope it's something easy to fix.

On the vibration, I am planning to pull the drive line off and check it out thoroughly when I replace the Transmission Tail Bushing. I know they can be hard to diagnose without pulling them out. I had to replace a drive line on my Silverado once at -20 degrees because it went out with no indication it was bad when checked. It fell off on the ground just as we pulled into hunting camp ...LOL

I will report back here when I get it checked out. There are other more minor things I have questions about such as "Can you replace a single burned out LED in the upper brake light"
Last edited by HiTechRedNeck on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
HiTechRedNeck

Post by HiTechRedNeck »

Another thing I noticed is the fuel gauge doesn't work correctly. It will read full one minute and empty the next. Any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated also.

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mmusicman »

Intermittent fuel gauge: well that could be a few things... intermittent connection along the way, intermittent sender (in tank).. or intermediate connection at dash cluster. Look for obvious stuff first.
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Chevron Techron, second time I've mentioned this stuff today. The fuel gauge can have a number of different symptoms caused by any number of gremlins but the Techron has helped me with a temperamental fuel gauge before. I haven't had the issue in either of my safaris but in another car my wife owned. Gunk buildup on the sender inside the tank caused the gauge to operate slowly if it worked at all.

Cheap enough to try and fail, if it works for you, great!
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
HiTechRedNeck

Post by HiTechRedNeck »

I know it could be a lot of things, but just thought there might be some real common problem with the Astro vans causing it. My buddy just went through the fuel gauge problems with his 05 Lesabre and it turned out to be bad motors on the cluster itself. He had to send in the cluster to a repair shop to get all the motors replaced. I guess I'll start with the Techron in the fuel and see what happens.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Sorry HiTech, I've read about several different problems and causes for the fuel gauge. No one more than another so it's an A-Z deal. I'm not a believer of fix in a can but in this case it is worth a try. If it improves you have at least targeted the problem.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
HiTechRedNeck

Post by HiTechRedNeck »

Just checking in with you guys, I hope you hang in there till I can get back out in the garage and check this stuff out some more. I had a knee surgery 2 days ago, and have to heal a little before I resume checking this van out. also, our weather has been terrible here with lots of snow and cold. I'll be getting back out there soon and will check in with what I find. Thanks guys.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Well until the fuel gauge gets fixed, it is a good idea to always reset the trip odometer when you fill gas tank. Then after about 200 miles or so, you can go to gas station and re fill the tank.

estimate that you could get about 18 mpg and the tank holds about 20 gallons. so max range could be 350 ish miles on the high way. but with city driving and idling and cold weather, safer to assume about 15 mpg then your max range about 300 miles per tank. keep a small notebook and start calculating the mpg with each tank and always reset the trip odometer and you can predict your remaining gas supply to avoid running out of gas. Also, get an old milk crate and strap in securely in the back. You can store a 2 gallon or 5 gallon gas tank .

AP

Topic author
HiTechRedNeck

Post by HiTechRedNeck »

Great info. I put a can of gas in the back, and I'll fuel up at 300 miles.
I was under the van today looking at probable leaks and I noticed both the engine and the Tranny oil pans are leaking. I found a bolt missing on the engine oil pan and replaced it. I also tightened all the bolts I could get a socket on.
QUESTION: What would a shop charge to replace the oil pan seals on both - Just a rough figure.