GTRV no longer doing Astros/Safaris...

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
tequilasunset
I am merely driving my van

GTRV no longer doing Astros/Safaris...

Post by tequilasunset »

Not sure if everyone knows this already or not... I inquired about it and I felt the response was pretty rude...
We no longer do the Astro/Safari as we don't do vans which cost less than the roof system.
Thanks,
Mike Reed, GTRV
05 Safari AWD
85 Vanagon tin top 1.8T with Westy interior (stealth)
14 Lancer AWC
07 Tango (Home)

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: GTRV no longer doing Astros/Safaris...

Post by mdmead »

tequilasunset wrote:Not sure if everyone knows this already or not... I inquired about it and I felt the response was pretty rude...
We no longer do the Astro/Safari as we don't do vans which cost less than the roof system.
Thanks,
Mike Reed, GTRV
Agreed, RUDE!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

I agree, that is a bit of a ridiculous response. There was another guy from GTRV was on here a while back...

...just looked it up, username "Mathil" or Bryan, maybe contact him instead. People have trouble getting a response from CCV (Colorado Camper Vans) lately and it looks like their website is quite a bit different with some new names so not sure what is going on there. I've been considering a CCV poptop down the road so hopefully they are still doing them. I see Das Mule is doing some Astro poptops now too as they built one and seem to have found there is (some, anyway) demand for a reasonably priced AWD/4x4 competitor to (overpriced, imo) VW vans.
Mathil wrote:I'll come out of the closet, and say that I'm Bryan Wiesendahl, owner/operator of GTRV.

I joined this site because I'm currently building my own 4WD conversion camping/hunting rig based on an Astro. I chose the astro because of the easy 4WD conversion, the nice size, availability of affordable chassis, and the fact that we've had a pop-top mould kicking around the shop for the past 15 years or so... We've gotten rid of our other "older" moulds because of lack of demand, but I wouldn't think of getting rid of the Astro because of its practicability and it's popularity. We've stopped doing full conversions on Astros (mainly because the cabinetry was 'out of date', and most people don't want to pour 20,000$ into a 5,000$ van) but still do quite a few pop-tops and "weekenders".

I can offer a "kit" based on the parts you can't make yourself, economized for those who are handy enough to do some installation/fabrication. This could include, or exclude if you choose to make certain parts yourself, the fibreglass top, the hinges, the tent, the struts, the reinforcing ring for the roof cutout, etc.

With kits I require some kind of guarantee that you won't make copies of my pop-top fibreglass, and thus by extension my mould. If you look at the time we came out with our Ford conversion, and then see when PleasureWay came out with their "traverse" model, you'll see that they acquired one of our vans and took copies of our roof. Been there done that, don't want something similar to happen again.

As it stands, our installed pop-top runs around 5000$. The amount you save in a kit would depend on the parts you build yourself, and the labour I don't have to spend to install it.

I'm also a dealer for Reimo, and could order in official Reimo roof hinges (the ones I make copies of) if sufficient interest was shown. I don't believe any other company, like the bus depot, brings them in. I started making them because the hassles of paying for, and shipping them from Germany became more than the hassle of making them myself.

I've experienced sticker shock dealing with other communities who were trying to organize group buys and part development, namely the Delica van owners. I know it's like trying to herd a group of cats trying to get a group buy together. I'm not here to organize such, but am here to consult and help people get what they need at the best price they can. I've benefited from the likes of T.Low and other customers who have forged the path in other areas, and I'm sure I have some knowledge/capabilities that I could extend to the community.

I tried to find a thread dealing with vendors and sellers on this forum, but couldn't find one. I know some boards are very strict with what they allow, so if I've crossed any lines a mod can contact me and let me know what I should do. Just trying to help!

FYI, last time I used a LTL shipper for an astro roof, going from Vancouver to San Francisco, it was around 500$. It's a big, heavy package that either needs 2 burly men or a forklift, so it's a bit harder to ship than, say, half a truck full of 12"x12"x12" boxes.
Last edited by Stroverlander on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
tequilasunset

Post by tequilasunset »

^^Thx for the info!
05 Safari AWD
14 Lancer AWC
07 Tango (Home)

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Sure thing! If you get any response or check any of the others, let us know what they say. :cheers:

bunce1260

Post by bunce1260 »

I'm keen to hear what happens with this.

I just need a bit more space, If the sleeping arrangement could be moved "upstairs" that frees up a lot of room in the van for the kitchen/living/storage space.

Ideally a bubbletop would be best for year round camping, but I've not seen one that doesn't look hideous on our vans.
2004 AWD. S10 4" rear springs. 2" Body spacers. Prothane body bushings. Insulated. Ventline VP543 roof fan. Hella 500's. Tru-cool 4454. Bilstein shocks. Brembo. Hawk.LED bar. 235/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM
www.instagram.com/vango_life
www.VanGoLife.com

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

This was just posted on ExPo today from CCV...
coloradocampervan wrote:Hey All,

Stephen here with Colorado Camper Van.

We have been watching this thread and its always difficult to know when to chime in.

I figured I would post something to let everyone here know that we see your comments/responses and we are working hard to change are processes and strategies to create more happy customers.

I hope any and all that are having problems contacting us please try again soon! I am the new sales guy for CCV. I have another full time job that I do so I do not always answer, but PLEASE leave a voicemail. We get TONS of spam calls, so I don't return all missed phone calls. I currently have zero e-mails in my inbox and zero voicemails to return. For those of you working directly with Derek, I would urge you to please contact me first. Derek is over loaded and sometimes he doesn't know how/when to delegate. Please e-mail me at stephenatcoloradocampervan.com or call the phone number on the coloradocampervan website 970-699-6000.

I do apologies to anyone that has had an unpleasant experience with CCV. We are a small business and going through growing pains. It has been a huge deal for Derek to bring someone like me on and to understand that he cant do it all. Please realize there are really great changes happening right now at CCV to ensure quality and success. We have a dedicated shop manager now too, anyone notice the new website? I know they seem like small steps, but they are none the less steps towards change.

Although we will always strive for the best quality we can, I hope people also understand that we will most likely never be outside van or van specialties. We are geared more towards the users. The users that have an average income and can't afford $60,000 conversions. We offer affordable prices that we think are ethical and moral. We charge fair prices for parts, and believe in helping the customer anyway we can. I hope everyone understands this!

Rest assured that you can talk to me anytime, and if anyone has any issues or concerns I am happy to talk to you on the phone or via e-mail about those concerns.

Thanks and have a great day,

Stephen

Topic author
tequilasunset

Post by tequilasunset »

^^^ A dude answer calls/emails who has another full time job and doesn't always respond... well that instills a huge vote of confidence in me... maybe as a customer I can be too busy to pay their bill since I have other bills to pay.

Seriously... this is some of the worst PR I have ever seen... Like Baghdad Bob...
05 Safari AWD
14 Lancer AWC
07 Tango (Home)

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Not trying to pour more (or any) fuel on the fire...

It sounds like the owner/operator, Derek was/is overloaded and maybe not the best communicator customer service wise to start with and so now has Stephen to help with all the phone/email inquiries. I'm in no hurry for a poptop so able to give it some time and see if things improve on that end.

A few of the people I've communicated with that have CCV poptops are happy enough with them overall, just some minor detail issues here and there. Unfortunately, we don't have many poptop options and CCV has been very reasonably priced in this regard.

Topic author
tequilasunset

Post by tequilasunset »

^^^What is considered reasonably priced?
05 Safari AWD
14 Lancer AWC
07 Tango (Home)

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

tequilasunset wrote:^^^What is considered reasonably priced?
Well, before GTRV exited the market, they were getting upwards of $8k for a pop-top, depending on finish. The few times I talked to Derek, it was coming in closer to $5k, I think. That said, seeing some of the documentation of issues he's had, and hearing a LOT of people complaining about lack of returned calls, etc., I'd be hesitant to jump into his garage just now.

There are days when I lament all the time I spent on my own GTRV conversion vs. just paying to have it done (and getting to use it), but then there are days when I'm glad I have it at all, and understand how everything was finished.

Given GTRV's exit, I would say it would be increasingly worth it for people to start monitoring Craigslist, Kinja, etc. for ratty old GTRVs for upconversion, the way I did it. The fiberglass and tents alone just got more valuable since you won't be able to get new ones.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
tequilasunset

Post by tequilasunset »

^^^ hence why I am looking at a 16" hightop to be installed for a shade over 3K with tax and labor included. I can "almost" stand completely upright and the headroom is a constant, and still stealth... pop the top and the stealth goes away.

With that said I love the ventilation of the pop top on a mild summer's night
05 Safari AWD
14 Lancer AWC
07 Tango (Home)

racrx7
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by racrx7 »

I wish someone offered a DIY kit. Colorado is just too far for some of us to drive.
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle
Journeys rear spring hangers and shackles, S-10 leaf springs, 2" body lift
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers

racrx7
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by racrx7 »

If GTRV feels there is no longer a market for the Astro vans, why don't they just sell off the tooling for the tops to someone that could continue offering the conversion?
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle
Journeys rear spring hangers and shackles, S-10 leaf springs, 2" body lift
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers

Topic author
tequilasunset

Post by tequilasunset »

Well... Looks like I will get a CCV after all. Being honest and I quit kidding myself I would not be happy never being able to stand all the way up, and CCV is really the only option out there. Das Mule is a very long ways away in ever doing these, IF they decide to do them. They did one as a "Buddy" deal and part education.
05 Safari AWD
14 Lancer AWC
07 Tango (Home)