AWD Safari wheel binding.

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
The Mack
I am merely driving my van

AWD Safari wheel binding.

Post by The Mack »

Just picked up my first AWD Safari and noticed when turning sharp at low speed the tires bind/scrub on the pavement like my Silvarado does in when left in 4WD on dry pavement.

Is this normal for AWD or is it a indication that there are problems like cv joints or front diff.?

Normal driving seems fine, just low speed sharp turns.

I know this thing hooks up like a champ in snow, seeming to have a locking rear diff like in my Silvarado, but not sure if they were available in the A/S vehicle line.

Gas mileage seems to be 4-5 mpg less than my 2wd astro, but with the low gas prices I don't give a f**k.

TIA For any insight on this matter.
1999 AWD Safari
2002 Astro
1996 Astro (sold)

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: AWD Safari wheel binding.

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the dark side. AWD vans are a big step up. Lots more moving parts, a lot more to go wrong but the capabilities are thu the roof! These vans are very capable vehicles and really shine in the snow. You can check your RPO codes for G80. If its listed you do have a limited slip or gov-lok locker. I don't believe GM differentiated between the two. Even without, these awd vans are awesome.
You failed to tell us the year of your van. Pre 99 used a viscous coupled tc. They detect wheel speed difference and the internal friction the speed difference causes produces heat momentarily changing the fluid from liquid to semisolid. Running mismatched tires will ruin the coupling and the coupling must be changed.
from 1999 up the transfer case is electronicly controlled clutch activated single speed np136. AutoTrak II fluid must be used. Drain your transfer case and refill. Drive your van in a figure eight pattern for five minutes. This will ensure new fluid gets between the clutch plates and stuck or varnished plates are freed up. See if this helps with your low speed crow hopping.
Let us know how you make out and be ready to be infatuated. But you probably already are as you've been a member here for years and your still buying em!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
The Mack

Post by The Mack »

Thanks for the reply.
I plan on going through everything, already did fuel pump, got synthetic oil, synthetic tranny fluid and filter, cap, rotor, plugs wires and want to do the transfer case as you suggested, and front and rear diffs.

It is a 99 with 135,000. picked it up for $1800 and don't mind putting a little money in it.

Will let you know how things work out, thanks again.
1999 AWD Safari
2002 Astro
1996 Astro (sold)

4FX

Post by 4FX »

Just bought a 03' AWD with 140K on it for 4500.00 and doing the same thing, GU6 G80 on the RPO Sticker. took the diff cover off and drained, cleaned everything. had to do a little repair work on the cover. Put a new gasket and refilled with Lucas Oil gear lube. and it seams to be settling down but hard to tell with all the snow up here now. need to find a non snow covered parking lot to do the figure 8 for 5-10 minutes to loosen thing s up in the rear end. I hope this fixes my crow hopping issues.

Troy
Troy
2003 RWD
2003 AWD
and looking for 2 more LOW mileage 03-05 Astro AWD Cargos for my business

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

^^ per the post above AutoTrak II fluid must be used in the transfer case if you want to be rid of the chatter. Then you can do your figure 8's